• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

trouble uploading mac 0S X

Reaction score
Trying to upgrade to OS X 10.3 using the two installation discs. When I insert disk one and begin the upload It restarts my computer. Then a page of text appears. At the top it reads as follows: Panic (cpu 0 caller 0x002e54bc): Unable to find driver for this platform: "PowerBook3,4".
Further down the page it reads as follows: No debugger configured - dumping debug information
In the background I can see the power button emblem and it says: You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power.
When I do this the computer restarts and the same page pops up. Now I cant even eject the disk. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this? Any help would be much appriciated.

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome to Mac-Forums, kielkid2. What you are experiencing is a kernel panic. It happens a lot when bad RAM is involved but that isn't always the case.

Why have you been trying to update the OS? Were you previously experiencing problems?

OP
K
Reaction score
I have OS 10 and I'm trying to upgrade my powerbook g4 to OS x 10.3 I beleive. I'm trying to use the instilation disks that came with my girlfriends new macbook. I want to upgrade so that I can run programs that require 10.3 or higher. Any help you can give would be much appriciated. I can't even eject the disk right now. I can restart the computer. but all I get is that kernel panic that you mentioned.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
If I understand you correctly. You are trying to upgrade your PowerBook G4 with an Intel MacBook restore CDROMs. If this is the case you will not be able to do it. You will need to buy a full install version of the OS you want to install.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
1. The OS discs from 10.3 up are system specific so you need a PowerBook install or a retail install
2. MacBooks have intel coded OS X, PowerBooks cant run it
3. It would be illegal to use that disc even if it would work

OP
K
Reaction score
very good. I will go buy the update tomorrow. any idea on how to eject the disk thats stuck in my g4?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Restart your system and hold down the click button on the touch pad, while it is booting.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.