A few general questions about MBP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2.16 ghz, 1GB ram, 120GB; iPod Classic 80GB; iPod shuffle (2nd gen); iPhone 16gb
Hi everyone,

I'm new here. Just ordered my MacBook Pro and hoping to have it soon (although I've heard some horror stories about ordering directly from Apple!). I'm excited about getting it, but I still have a couple of questions about it; if anyone could answer them I'd be very grateful.

I'd heard that the MacBook (the one I was originally going to go for) has a magnetic closing system, rather than a physical catch, and that you can 'stick' the Apple Remote to the casing because of the magnets. Can you do this with the MacBook Pro? I'm still not sure if there is a magnetic catch for this model.

If anyone could recommend a good case for the MBP, as well.. I have a feeling I'm going to be a bit OTT when it comes to looking after it!

Also, this isn't exactly a 'general' question (sorry!) but just wondering if anyone has tried running Second Life with their MacBook Pro (I'm getting the entry level spec. - 2.0 ghz, 15", if that makes a difference) and has actually been able to do it? I'd heard that it is not possible to run it on the MacBook because it doesn't have a suitable graphics card (or it doesn't have one at all, right?) but the way I'm reading the requirements on the Second Life site I think the MacBook Pro's graphics card is advanced enough to handle running it.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies!

Stephen

???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.0Ghz
OK the MacBook Pro (MBP) doesnt have a magnetic catch like the MacBook it has a catch that comes down magnetically. I have never tried ticking my remote to it and I have never heard of this.

Buy a case from the mac store, even better buy one from the apple store near where you live and get a case at the same time.

As for second life it should run OK, you have got me interested in it and I will try running it later. But I am sure that a macbook pro will run it just fine.

Reaction score
The latch on the MBP is one con because it doesn't close properly, it always sticks up from both sides. And the MBP graphics are amazing. I run games on Mac like Doom and games on Windows via Bootcamp like Half-Life 2 and those games are the more higher quality graphics kind of games and the MBP runs those games better than my custom high end PC! My PC has a ATI Radeon X700 Pro and the MBP has Radeon X1600. So it can definitely run second life.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.