My New Mac Pro Burner Issue Story

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2GB RAM/2x500GB HD/x1900 Video
Hey y'all, another new switcher here.

My new Mac Pro is only two weeks old, and I had to call AppleCare on Christmas Day to resolve a problem I had burning any discs. I would insert a CD or DVD, follow the prompt to open it in Finder, then get a "Disc is unrecognizable" error. So, after trying every type of blank CD and DVD I had in the house and trying an external burner I have, I finally called for help.

The first agent I got walked me through a few reboots and such and finally told me I was going to need to erase and reinstall. Ugh. Well, I wanted to make sure I had everything backed up right, so I told him I'd call back when I was ready.

The second agent wasn't ready to throw in the towel. He had me reboot a few times with the blank disc already in the drive, therefore bypassing the Finder prompt. We jumped into iTunes, and tada...drive burned without a hitch. Hmmmm...ok, no burner problem, gotta be a problem with Finder. So, looks like I'm back to erase and reinstall.

Not so fast, he says. He asks me if I want to try something experimental. Since my only other option was a complete reinstall, I agreed to try anything.

Well, to make a long story just a tad shorter, he had me trash the Finder Scripts in the Library. After rebooting, Finder burned like a champ.

Cool.

Now to my question (if you lasted this long), since I'm still an Apple newbie, is anything else gonna be messed up since I deleted those scripts? I haven't noticed anything not working right, but I'm not sure I should. Just wondering.

Anyhow, loving the new Mac and can't believe I waited so long to switch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You will be fine. When pref files like that are "trashed", they simply rewrite fresh, clean ones upon rebooting/relaunching. Trashing them only gets rid of the corrupted ones.
Just goes to show you that reinstalling should always be the absolute last thing to consider when things go wrong with OS X. This ain't Windows and the "Slash and Burn" technique of reformatting/reinstalling does not apply here. :black:
It is almost never needed and only wastes time and trouble when doing so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
Yay for persistent service techs!

OP
Macavity
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2GB RAM/2x500GB HD/x1900 Video
Sweet. Just what I wanted to hear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.