Repair Problems

Reaction score
Okay, so I send in my iBook G4 to AppleCare to get serviced (third time in 13 months, last repair was in Sept. They replaced the HD and logic boards for the second time). I sent it in because two minutes after starting, the computer would just freeze. This after months of hearing the "click of death" more and more frequently.

I get it back today. They replaced the logic board for the third time, but didn't touch the hard drive. So, I'm still hearing the click of death frequently (like twice a minute or so), my programs are slow to open and respond, my cursor sticks every so often, and videos are choppy in playing.

I called Applecare's customer support line when I sent it in. I was told that because they had a system changeover between my first and second times sending it in, the fact that my HD was replaced was lost. I faxed them over my service invoices verifying my claim (I actually had to do that twice. The first time the guy didn't get it. He told me later someone else had picked them up).

So the guy is working on my case. If my laptop came back to me in usable condition, I wouldn't be so irate.
TWO logic board replacements in three and a half months and a machine that doesn't perform to standard. I'm really beginning not to like Macs. And that's saying a lot.

Oh, and i've had my laptop for two years. The first time I sent it in, I didn't even have it a year.

OP
P
Reaction score
I sincerely apologize for the strong language I used. I'm just really frustrated, and I was unaware of the board rules concerning language.

It won't happen again.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have never heard of a click of death. Depending of the OS you are you will hear some type of disk chatter. I know my IBM ThinkPad (work), the disk chatters more than my PowerBook or iBooks.

Now I have read that if Apple does not resolve the problem after the third time, they replace it with new hardware. If you are lucky, you might see a new MacBook.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.