can't get camera to work...help!

R

ruralguy

New to Macs. One post before on Switchers. I have an iMac G3 333mhz. Apparenetly I have a lot of trouble dropping PC thinking and adapting to Mac. Bought Kodak dc260 digital camera with Adobe Photodeluxe and Kodak Digital Science software for PC and Mac, and cannot seem to get the camera software to properly install and work to transfer pictures from camera to iMac.

Used the CDs to install the Photodeluxe and Mac software. Per popup, it did not work. Uninstalled all and started over. Installed Photodeluxe first and then downloaded Mac software from Kodak site, avoiding the CD. Still does not work.

When I open Photodeluxe and click on pictures and camera, I get a popup: "The software needed to use the USB device 'Kodak Digital Science DC260' cannot be found. Please refer to the device documentation to install the necessary software." Camera is on and set to "connect."

Both the Photodeluxe and DC260 install software are on the HD. When I tried to re-reinstall the DC260 software from the CD, a message popped up saying the software is already installed. Neither seems to need to be expanded. I think I am not understanding the procedure I need to follow for installing new software. The instructions for Mac are sparse, compared to PC, in the User's guide.

Any suggestions for this new switcher?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
First I would not install the software. You can use either iPhoto or image capture to get the data off your camera. Both of these applications are on your system already.

OP
C

Chamorro

rman said:
First I would not install the software. You can use either iPhoto or image capture to get the data off your camera. Both of these applications are on your system already.

I agree...go w/ iPhoto. Uninstall the other stuff and connect your camera; iPhoto should start up on its own. If not, you'll probably have to go through the Apple support site or the camera's mfr. support site.

But, if you insist on using the other software, make sure that the camera pops up in iPhoto first, then adjust your preferences such that iPhoto is not your default camera "downloader".

OP
R

ruralguy

Thanks, rman and Chamorro

Still cannot make it work. It appears that iPhoto and Image Capture come with OS X or better (at least, that is what I think I am reading). My OS is 8.6 and I cannot find iPhoto in any folder. With the software from Kodak in the Trash, or out of the Trash and on the desktop, the popup still says that my iMac does not see the camera software and allow the pictures to download from the camera. I wonder if I will have to update the OS to X before I can solve the problem. Conversely, I wonder if I am not installing the camera software properly. Will keep working at it. If two sets of software (Adobe and Kodak) are required for the camera to download and the pictures to be manipulated, are they both placed onto the hard drive, or can both be placed in a folder, or should they be on the desktop? Thanks for your patience. Hank

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
are you sure the software is compatible with 8.6? most software released now goes 9 or X

OP
R

ruralguy

thanks, trpnmonkey41

The OS system requirement is 7.5.3 or better, and mine is 8.6. There is something I am not doing right, but cannot figure what it is. One thing, the
Adobe must be installed first; then the Kodak software installed into the Adobe folder. Problem is, when I am installing the Kodak software, where it must go into the Adobe folder, the desktop comes up instead of Adobe, like the desktop is the default, and so Kodak doesn't go where it should. (7-8 times at least, so far). I will keep at it until the problem is solved and it works. I was persistence with Win 95 and 98 and learned to do a lot with the technical side. I think that the Mac is so simple that I am overlooking something that would be obvious to an experienced user. Anyway, thanks, all of you. Hank

OP
C

Chamorro

ruralguy said:
The OS system requirement is 7.5.3 or better, and mine is 8.6. There is something I am not doing right, but cannot figure what it is. One thing, the
Adobe must be installed first; then the Kodak software installed into the Adobe folder. Problem is, when I am installing the Kodak software, where it must go into the Adobe folder, the desktop comes up instead of Adobe, like the desktop is the default, and so Kodak doesn't go where it should. (7-8 times at least, so far). I will keep at it until the problem is solved and it works. I was persistence with Win 95 and 98 and learned to do a lot with the technical side. I think that the Mac is so simple that I am overlooking something that would be obvious to an experienced user. Anyway, thanks, all of you. Hank

The installer should let you choose which folder to install to. Look for any item that displays your HD name (prior to clicking "Install", and see if you can change the destination.
Why not upgrade the OS?

OP
R

ruralguy

attn: Chamorro

I think that upgrading the OS is exactly what I need to do.....so I can use iPhoto. Will post again when I am successful. Thanks. Hank.

OP
C

Chamorro

I'd recommend OS X w/ 512mb RAM :D
But OS 9.2.2 will also be an improvement.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.