Looking for reference book(s) for my first Macbook - Gulp!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 80 GB
Hi all. I'm a 2 day old Macbook user :confused: and I have no clue about my new laptop. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good reference book or books that may help me find the light? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
My first recommendation to any new OSX user is Mac OSX Tiger: The Missing Manual.

It's not the sort of book you would sit down to read cover-to-cover, but it's so well-written that it's saved me a bunch of head-scratching and surfing for answers. As a reference guide it's wonderful.

My second recommendation is this forum. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i got the rough guide to mac osX.

decent book, but i really don't think i learned much in that book that i couldn't have learned here.

M

MacHeadCase

This is the book I bought when I got my MBP, and it was very helpful. It specifically addressed issues like key combination translations (learning the Mac was from the WinXP way), transfering files from the PC to the new Mac, etc.

Yeah recently we had a diehard Windows user/friend switch to an iMac (Intel-based) and the poor woman kept complaining how Windows did this and did that, blahblahblah. We got a bit tired to hear the unfounded complaints (unfounded because it's not because the Mac doesn't do the stuff she was talking about, it did it differently... I mean we couldn't blame the Mac because of this user's - our friend's - ignorance). So we recommended this book to her.

She is now a very happy camper!

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3" White 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo 80 GB
Thanks so much for everyone's help. I wanted to pick up a book so that I take it with me when I'm waiting for 3 hours in my doctor's office. Not so easy to surf the net in there.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
well hopefully that doctor's visit isn't for anything too serious...

and welcome to the forums (didn't say it earlier)!

Reaction score
What are some of the discrepancies people are having between the two OS's?? I just got mine today, and Ive learned a whole lot. What are some interesting things I may have not known, I would love to get the book and read it, but I have way too many others to read, and Im just to lazy to read those lol... so i dont want to add another book to the pile.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.