Mac Mail app questions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
How do I get Apple mail. I ended up with .mac mail and I don't know if I want to pay the annual fee for .mac. Is Apple and .mac mail the same thing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
you get apple mail when you sign up for .mac. i would stick with the .mac because you can do all kinds of good things with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
join the free trial before you buy though to see if u like it.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 20" 216 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor, 1GBSDRAM, 250 GB hd, Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0
I'm in the free trial now but I'm only using e-mail. I have explore the rest of the package to see if I want to stick with it. Not sure how much I'll use.
I just thought that apple mail was something different. Thanks for the quick reply.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
youll love the idisk its just like a network drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Apple's Mail application is simply an email client. You do not need to have a .Mac email address to use it. You can use it with just about any email address that supports POP3 or IMAP.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac OSX e-mail

I'm still confused! I'm on a trial .mac account and I'm using the .mac mail. If I choose not to subscribe, what are my e-mail options? I did a web search and I'm told there is a max OSX e-mail. Is that built in or do I have to sign up for it? Also I'm told there is Eudora, Mozilla, etc. Do these work the same as .mac with my stamp icon? Does anyone have an e-mail account that you recommend?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Your STAMP icon is OSX's Mail. It will work with any POP or IMAP email account. I have all my email coming into Mail and it works great. There are other Email clients like you mentioned, but Mail works fine for all I do.

Mail is an Email Client and not an account. Most free email services are WEB based though except Googles Gmail.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So you're saying I'll need a POP or IMAP account to work with OSX's mail? In other words, I'll need an account? Is .mac WEB based and should I use one that is or isn't? And what is gmail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Houston, we have a newb. ;)

To whoever gave me the bad reputation, I didn't mean this in a bad way. I like having a switcher, and a newbie to Mac OS X! :)

Reaction score
The program Mail that comes built into OS X is an application for reading and writing email.

Your .mac email address is an account where you can receive emails.

These are two different things. Mail is your kitchen table where you can sit down to read your mail and write letters. The .mac account is your street address, where people send your mail.

If you don't want to pay for the .mac account after the free trial, there are plenty of other options for getting a new "street address" ... you can use Mail with almost all of them. One example is Gmail, which is a free email account you can get from Google. You can get an account by going to www.gmail.com. You can then access your Gmail account in Mail by following these easy steps.

First step would be to contact the company that provides your internet access (cable company, phone company, AOL, whatever). You probably have a free email account through that company as part of your internet access fee each month.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Todd, very good answer. I was thinking on how to answer her but did not want to cause confusion. Good job.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks so much I finally understand what OSX mail is. Also, I do have e-mail through my satellite provider, but it's not very good, thought I could do better with another one. I did find a thread about gmail and that helped too. This forum is a lifesaver for a switcher...You guys are great!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
WooHooo Todd! =) great response!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac
Eh, they are great. They just work, no viruses.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OS X Mail

In the process of making a new folder in my Mail, I ended up saving all my mail and folders in the .mac storage service. Since I'm new, there wasn't hardly anything in my folders and I don't really need to to that right now... don't know if I'm keeping .mac anyway. So how do I just return it back to folders on my mac only?

Reaction score
In the process of making a new folder in my Mail, I ended up saving all my mail and folders in the .mac storage service. Since I'm new, there wasn't hardly anything in my folders and I don't really need to to that right now... don't know if I'm keeping .mac anyway. So how do I just return it back to folders on my mac only?

What is on the server should be the same info that is on your computer. Mine is anyway. If you are in doubt simply check both sites (your computer and .mac online) and compare folders.

OP
Carol247
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry, more email ?'s

I've checked some free or low-cost email apps to configure to my OSX Mail client and so far none of them say they support Safari, not even gmail. My questions:
1. I noticed that several nice "extras" are not available if Safari is not supported. Would I really lose that much if I went with, say gmail?
2. When I use OSX Mail client does the interface look and operate like gmail (or whatever I choose) or will it still look the same as OSX Mail. I ask this question because most e-mail apps show their screens, etc. but I don't know if this applies if I'm using OSX Mail client.

Thanks once again...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.