To Pod or not to Pod?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
That is the question, but I hope you guys (and gals) have some helpful hints.

So, I got some money for Christmas, and usually, as I am self employed, that money goes straight to bills and I never see any joy from it (appart from my bank looking ok for one month).

Anyway, This year I have been seriously tempted to purchase something for myself to enjoy. An iPod has been on my "I don't need it but I so want it" list.

Now, the Nano is lovely, and the silver one would go well with my MBP. However, I am a media artist, and the idea of a black 30Gb iPod would be tempting too. I am in the UK so it would be £99 for the 2Gb or £130 odd for the 4Gb nano, but no video, but the cuteness of it's size and colour (and casing). On the other hand, I could blow most of the money and get the 30Gb black iPod for £169 or so. I am well elligable for educational discount as I run Animation workshops completely run from Mac's.

On the other hand, I could buy a 1Gb card for my phone and bung it all on there, but hey, if you got a Mac, why not get an iPod right?

On the other other hand, I could try and save up for a nice 24" lcd screen for my MBP which I have wanted for oh-so-long now.

Gurrrr.

Or I could pop the money in the bank and wait for January 8th to see what is new.

Basically, has anyone in the UK bought an iPod on educational discount? and how much did you get off? (I still have to register)

What should I do? what should I do? answers on a postcard please!

ps. failing a postcard, the message board will do fine :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
I would say treat yourself to the ipod 30gb video like you want .... all work and no play is not a good thing sometimes... however waiting until after macworld may be a smart idea.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
are you set on an ipod?

as opposed to something else?

Reaction score
I would definitely wait. Rumor has it, that a new 3.5 inch non touch screen ipod is going to be announced in January. And are you going to be vacationing in the US, or have a friend in the US? Or, what i would do, if you know the new ipod will be to expensive or what ever, go on ebay, get a new sealed ipod video for $200 which is barely even 100 pounds. Dont buy the ipod video for 169 pounds, your just getting ripped off. For all of you without a currency converter in your widgets thats about $330

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
The only issue with buying something like an iPod outside of the UK is that mel will have to pay VAT when the item comes into the country.

That said, you may want to wait until after Steve Jobs' keynote address at Macworld on January 9 just to see what products are announced.

For what it's worth, my vote is for a spiffy new 30GB Video iPod. :)

Reaction score
But he wont have to pay that much vat... I mean whats the most he'll have to pay? 20 pounds?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
Please, just wait. You won't suffer from the lack of any of those things and if you wait, you might just luck out with the latest and greatest from Apple. This is just my opinion though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15-inch 2.16GHz
At any rate, it'd be worth waiting another 2 weeks to see if there is a new iPod introduced. If there is, the price of the 30gig video will go down, and if there isn't, you won't be kicking yourself for not waiting 2 weeks.

Patience is a virtue.

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Give me the money, that way you wont be troubled any longer wondering what to do with it!

OP
melmation
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 1st Gen with upgraded Ram and Hard drive
Name? Address? Del? Ha ha. No, I think I'll keep hold of it. Going to put it in the bank today as I have allready had a few bills come through that need paying. BUT I will be keen to see what happens post January the 8th and I will make my decision then. Thanks guys.

BTW, I went into my local Dixons digital, and had another play with the Nano. Now, I have been up to the Apple store near my girlfriends and bored her silly with playing on ALL the products on offer, but for some reason, on the Nano in the Dixons store, the screen seemed a little iffy as in 'not that impressive'. maybe this is because of that specific model on display, or maybe it is because now I am in the market for one, I am really focused on the quality.

Anyway, that's another thread, but for this one, thanks for the replies, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.