Help! Cannot install Tiger on MacBook after erasing disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
My MacBook has died it would seem.

I used disk utility to erase disk with zeros and now when i startup from the tiger install disc it says: 'This software cannot be installed on this computer'.

Without the install disc in it, on power-up, a folder flashes on the white screen and stays like this.
Hardware test also fails.
All i have access to now is the disk utilty that is on the install disc and i would be very grateful if somebody could help me sort out this horrible problem.

When S is held down at startup, the kernel appears to be loading from the install disc...maybe i have deleted a system folder by mistake or altered some hardware? idk

Thanks

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
can you format in mac extended from the disk utility and then try reinstalling? it probably won't load because the disk isn't formatted.
might also be why you're getting the flashing folder, it might think it's in external drive mode (can't think of the exact name off the top of my head) because it has 'nothing else to do'.

by the way, welcome to the forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
When you boot from the installation disk and start the installation process, make sure you customise the installation and set 'erase disk' as the installation method. It's in a separate dialog opened by a customise button on the lower left of the installation window.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Thanks for replying.

I reformatted with mac extended but the same dialogue appears.

The error appears immediately after i choose the install language.

I am very new to macs so i may be wrong here, but as hardware check does not work, could there be something wrong with the firmware? Accessing system profiler through the install disc does not show what the Boot Rom is for my system... Is there a way of resetting firmware to factory settings?

Surely i could not have corrupted or erased this! (I hope not)

M

MacHeadCase

Can you pop in the install DVD that came with your MacBook and run the Apple Hardware Test in Extended Mode? Insert the DVD and startup holding down the D key. See what this shows in the results.

Also I've found these articles, not sure if any or one of them might solve your problem though.

Resetting MacBook and MacBook Pro System Management Controller (SMC)

Diagnose hard-drive disaster

MacBook: How to install memory (this one is to make sure your RAM is seated properly)

If nothing fixes the problem I would take it back to the dealer where you bought it and have them check it out for you. It must still be under warranty? I read here and there a few MacBooks had a bad logic board but it wasn't a widespread enough problem for Apple to issue a massive repair program.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro
Sorted

Thankyou for the advice.

I have now however found out the problem.

I was using my sister's installation disks for her macbook which is of the november 2006 build instead of the ones that came with my May build one.

This is all too complicated for me.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Kind of like XP, Wrong restore CD there will not work, and Wrong Full Install will not activate. Is your MacBook or Hers the C2D? That would explain it.

Reaction score
Hi,

I purchased a macbook pro with 10.5 and now I want 10.5 on my old macbook which only has 10.4 on it. Is this possible or won't it work?

Thanks,

Brenton.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
First, unless you have a Family Pack of 10.5 (5-License version), you can only put OSX on one machine at a time. It's against the EULA to put a One License version of OSX on 2 machines.

Second, Did the MBP come with 10.5 installed? The DVD's that come with say an MBP will only work on that exact model Mac as it was shipped with. If you try it on your Macbook it will not install.

You need a Full Install of 10.5. That will install on any Mac that meets the requirements of 10.5.

Reaction score
I was able to get 10.4 on a new 10.5 osx intel macbook

I was able to get 10.4 on a new 10.5 osx intel macbook. Below is how I got it working:

1.) You need access to a intel IMac or Mac Mini
2.) You need a usb flash drive
3.) connect the usb Flash drive to the IMac or Mac Mini
4.) Go to Utilites -> Disk Utility
5.) Click on the Removable disk then on the Restore Tab
6.) Drag your IMac or Mac Mini Disk Drive in the left hand column over to the source.
7.) Drag your usb flash drive to the destination.
8.) Check Erase Destination and then click on Restore button.
9.) After this completes, take your usb drive over to your new macbook.
10.) take out the battery and remove the screws so that you can take the harddrive out.
11.) plug in your usb drive and power up your new macbook.
12.) It will then boot into 10.4, once it boots up you will want to go to system preferences and click on startup disk. Change your startup disk to the usb flash drive and restart your macbook.
13.) before you restart your macbook while it is still powered up plug your hardddrive back in.
14.) Once your computer starts up do steps 4-8 again but make your source the usb drive and your destination your new macbook harddrive.
15.) When this completes you should be able to go to system preference -> startup disk and change your startup disk to your new macbook harddrive.
16.) Restart

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.