1 month old Macbook stopped getting AC power

Reaction score
Ok, well my title says it all. My Macbook is about a month old, and the other day it stopped getting AC power.

I took it to the Apple store I got it from, and they determined it was the "Board, MagSafe DC-In". This was something I had determined already but hey, they have procedures. Anyways, the guy that helped me quoted 10 business days, but lo and behold, it was ready the next day. Needless to say, I'm very impressed with the turn around time. I used to work at Best Buy as a computer tech, and we'd always quote 3-4 weeks. The repair was free under warranty, which is what I'd expect for a 1 month old laptop.

Anyways, here are the good and bad things about my experience:

Good:
- Turn around time was amazing. 1 day!
- FREE!

Bad:
- My 1 month old laptop stopped working. Maybe I just got unlucky. I wonder if this has happened to anyone else yet?
- I had no idea you needed to make an appointment to go consult the "geniuses." When I got there, all the appointments were filled, and I was told to try again the next day. There must be a better way. Maybe hire more geniuses and have one handle walk-ins while the others handle appointments. I don't know if it was busy because of the holiday season or what, but luckily I was able to put myself on standby and was able to see someone rather quickly.

Overall, I was pretty happy with the experience. I'm now considering getting the extended warranty. One repair like this would make it all worthwhile. I was told that a repair like this would've cost me around $450 had it not been covered under warranty.

Thanks for reading my story
~Dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0GHz White, 512MB RAM, 60GB HDD
Can't say I've ever heard of the magsafe on the board going bad. It's usually the power brick itself if anything. Glad you're happy with the service :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
I haven't heard of that problem, either. But I'd definitly recommend the Applecare. I've heard plenty of stories where laptops broke because of the user, but since they bought AppleCare, Apple becomes a little more lenient. That, and everything is free for 3 years :-D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I had an oddball problem where the MagSafe connector on my adapter cable went bad, and there was a bit more trouble to be had than was necessary.

All that said, glad your first experience was generally a good one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.