iBook Questions

N

NYs Stratus

I have a ibook that i want to upgrade but i dont know much about macs. I have a 366, with 128mb, and a 6gb hd. i would like to know if i able to put a bigger harddrive because 6gb really doesnt hold much. my next question is where will i find the best price on memory for my mac i dont know which it uses, and fo my last question i want to know if i can change my cd rom for a dvd/cd burner. the only reason i want to upgrade it cause i have an attachment to my jelly bean :D.oh yeah i am running os 9.0.4
Thanks in advance

Mike

OP
L

lzasitko

iBook

NYs Stratus said:
I have a ibook that i want to upgrade but i dont know much about macs. I have a 366, with 128mb, and a 6gb hd. i would like to know if i able to put a bigger harddrive because 6gb really doesnt hold much. my next question is where will i find the best price on memory for my mac i dont know which it uses, and fo my last question i want to know if i can change my cd rom for a dvd/cd burner. the only reason i want to upgrade it cause i have an attachment to my jelly bean :D.oh yeah i am running os 9.0.4
Thanks in advance

Mike

Go get as much memory as you can, I put 512 in mine and it really does help. I landed up buying mine at one of the Apple dealers (Westworld) in Calgary. I checked all over and found that they were only $10 more than the stores that sell only memory. They installed it and tested it for nothing.

Yes you can change the hard drive but you have to take it all apart, not an easy task. Others have done it and I will likely do it at some point but may just leave the 6gig alone and get a usb/firewire, some of those are really small.

Upgrade the OS to Panther. I have Jaguar and 9.2 on mine and Panther is on it's way. I have not had any problems with Jaguar and I gather that Panther is faster then Jaguar. You will like OSX.

No you can't put in a superdrive, hardware does not support it. Apple only put in dvd/cd drives. Again you could leave the existing alone and get an external drive.

Larry

OP
N

NYs Stratus

well the problem i see about putting the things externally is that the mac only has 1 usb port and no firewire sothats the reason i was looking for a internal hd and dvd/cd i just need to know if i was to go that route which dvd/cd would i need to get and which hd would i need i doubt i need more then 20gb i think thats the max for what its being used for i mean if i can fit more i would.. I was looking at crucial.com and they say my max memory is 320mb

OP
L

lzasitko

questions

NYs Stratus said:
well the problem i see about putting the things externally is that the mac only has 1 usb port and no firewire sothats the reason i was looking for a internal hd and dvd/cd i just need to know if i was to go that route which dvd/cd would i need to get and which hd would i need i doubt i need more then 20gb i think thats the max for what its being used for i mean if i can fit more i would.. I was looking at crucial.com and they say my max memory is 320mb

You can use a USB splitter which would let you use more than one device....

If you have a 366 with no firewire then you have a graphite SE, right? First Clamshells were 300mhz no firewire, the SE added a bit more speed as well as a 6gig hd. This is what I have.... In any case they only had a 4meg video card built in and that will NOT support dvd. The dvd was only available as a 466mhz with a 8meg video card and these were also graphite in colour. So a dvd/cd drive is out of the question.

Any drive that is 2.5" will fit but make sure the height is 9.5mm or less, anything taller will not let the case fit back together properly. If you are going to download a fair bit get more space.

When the iBook was first released the largest card that fit was a 256meg so that is what Apple and everyone else shows on the books. I have a Azenram 512 AZ A512D65 PC133 SODIMM in mine and it works fine. Westworld computers (Apple dealer) in Clagary put it in and I did a lot of checking and they were only $10 more than anywhere else. As far as I know this is the same ram as the newer iBook uses. 4 months and no problems.

Larry

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.