Hard Drives - Which Sata?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Im going to stick a another HDD in my new mac pro but wasn't sure if u should get sata 150, 300 or II?

Also are the hdds that come with the mac pro 16mb cache or 8mb? also what make are the hdds that apple supply?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
Im going to stick a another HDD in my new mac pro but wasn't sure if u should get sata 150, 300 or II?

Also are the hdds that come with the mac pro 16mb cache or 8mb? also what make are the hdds that apple supply?

thanks

There SATA 3.0 Gbps. Apple uses 8 Mb cache but you can use the 16 Mb's. I have 3 HDD spots filled with SATA 3.0 Gbps 16 Mb cache drives and the orignal Apple hard drive as well. I went with Western Digtal myself. You can get 250 Gig drives for cheap.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Yes, that hard drive will work but I strongly recommend going with Seagate hard drives.

Does the video card you have in your Mac Pro have a S-video connector? If so, you can probably use that one. If not, then I would recommend just adding another video card with a S-video connector or replacing your current video card with one that has a S-video connector.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Yes, that hard drive will work but I strongly recommend going with Seagate hard drives.

I've had nothing but trouble with Seagates and prefer Western Digital or Maxtors myself. It's all fairly subjective.

OP
joe.morgan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ive used maxtor, western and seagate when building gaming pcs and seagate have been the only make i have had trouble with.

thanks for advice, i went for x1900xt card, anyone know if this has a svideo input/output on it?

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
Yes, the X1900XT should have S-video output on it.

I'm an IT manager and out of all the hard drives I've replaced, only one was a Seagate. I've got Seagate Cheetah SCSI drives on 10 year old Proliants that have been running 24/7 and have never been replaced. We use a lot of Dell products that use a lot of Western Digital drives and they have by far had the worst reliability. I do a lot of work on the side repairing PCs and I've replaced many Maxtor drives in my time that weren't even too old. The reason I really detest Maxtor is the motherboard in the last PC I built wouldn't play with my hard drive. Come to find out Maxtor has extreme incompatibility issues with the newer versions of the nForce4 SLI chipset. It took them several months to finally release a firmware patch which you had to fight like h*ll to get from them. Needless to say I gave that POS drive away to a friend and bought a more expensive Seagate that worked fine. Any laptop I ever own I end up replacing the hard drive no matter what brand right off the bat because I know Seagate by far makes the best notebook drives. Any other brand (IBM, Hitachi, Fujitsu, Toshiba) ends up making that all too familiar whining noise after about 2-3 years and cr*ps out soon after. Not to mention you get the 5 year warranty when you go Seagate, not that you will ever probably need to use it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
I got a WD 7200rpm 3.0 SATA 80gig for $55 on newegg. That was a great deal. I use it for windows. its pretty quiet.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.