G4 1ghz vs G5 1.6ghz

S

Shayne

Hi, I currently have a G4 1ghz powermac with 768mb of ram. I am thinking about purchasing the base model G5 system, the 1.6 ghz, but I will have 1256mb of ram in it. Is there a big difference between these two computers? I mostly do video and graphics work using FCP and After Effects. Is the G5 1.6 going to be noticably faster?

Thanks

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
There is a difference. But I can not tell you what they are. Just that the G5 is the future and the G4 is basically the past. When Apple optimizes the OS to run at 64 bit instead of 32bit you should see a big difference. My guess would be, when the OS is at 64 bit so would Final Cut Pro. If I were looking to get a G5, I would look at the duals. I think the singles are going to be phased out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
wait untill aughtum, there may be significant upgrades to G5 line by then.

OP
S

Shayne

Thanks for the input, let me add that for the project I'm currently working on it is mandatory that I upgrade to a superdrive, larger harddrive, and ram.

I have an offer to sell my current system for 1000 and buy a g5 1.6 w/ 1.25gigs of ram for 1600.

Considering the cost of upgrading my current computer, wouldnt it make more sense to just get the g5 which already has a superdrive, bigger harddrive, more ram, and a faster cpu & fsb?

OP
C

Chamorro

I'd say to either get a dual G5, or try and find a single 1.8. The architecture of the 1.8 machines is set up for more future technology, compared to the 1.6 machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.