- 512MB DDR RAM
- 250GB Hard Disk Drive
- DVD RW 8x Superdrive
- 128MB GDDR3 Graphics
- 5 USB connections
- 2 Firewire Sockets
- Built-in Speakers
- Mac OS X v10.4 "Tiger" Operating System

I have worked out that this means I have the "20-inch iMac (Early 2006)".

Looking at the Apple support site, this means that the 512MB is made up of ONE stick. See - here

I am looking to upgrade this to 1gb when I get it, should this be a case of just putting an extra 512mb in and would THIS memory be compatible?

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/111437

Many thanks, Gavin.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.
Yup, should be ok if indeed the mac has a single 512mb stick to start.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
from apple

The iMac (Mid 2006) ships from the factory with at least 512 MB of DDR2 SDRAM, in two 256 MB DIMMs; one in each of the memory slots.

there you go

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
i have an early 2006 and it is two 256 sticks. for a dual core proccesser you have to have both slots filled. oh and i would trust the apple website before everymac. sorry if i sound rude but thats the truth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20in C2D iMac, base model. 30gb Video iPod.
No, I wasn't disputing the facts (and I know you aren't being rude, as I am not), like I said, I'd have thought that it would have come with 2x256 sticks. It isn't however true that you MUST have two sticks to use a dual core processor. The reason for the two identical sticks is for dual channel ram purposes (which I'm not sure the iMac does support anyway, although I may be wrong) but its not a prerequisite of a dual core processor.

I would also trust the Apple website, thats why I asked for a link :)

Jem

Reaction score
Sorry iMacmatt but as Seraphic says, that's simply not true on the dual stick issue. I have a 20" dual core, early '06 model. It came with 1 x 512MB stick. I took that out and replaced with 2 x 1GB sticks.

So you do not have to have both slots filled. There are performance benefits if you manage to obtain 2 identical sticks but I have read that this is not simply dependent on 2 sticks of the same size, but also they need to be perfectly matched timing-wise or they still wont be used optimally. I have no idea how to test if they are being used in dual channel mode or not - anyone got any links to testing apps?

Gav - it's probably best just to wait until it arrives and then take a peek inside. I bought RAM direct from Omni Technologies in the States and, even with FedEx sticking on excessive fees to collect import duty I still bagged a bargain although the ebuyer prices look much better than I remember them 6 months ago!

OP
G

Gav

Reaction score
Wow, a lot of heating debate here!

As it says on the Apple website, all Early 2006 models (with 512MB) left with 1 stick, I now have the product, and yes - it does only have one stick.

Many thanks :D

I'm really chuffed though - I got the iMac for £490 ($950USD)

there you go

I have the Early 2006 model, not the Mid.

Jem

Reaction score
Nice one mate, that sounds a great price to me for a nice piece of kit. You should be well pleased.

When I upgraded, I received a faulty 1GB module (+ a working one) and while the faulty one was being replaced I ran with 1 x 1GB and I must say the performance increase I got going from 1 x 512MB was a lot more noticeable than I got going from 1GB to 2GB. If you're not planning on running many intensive applications simultaneously then you may find a 1 x 512MB upgrade is more than enough. If, at a later date, you find you still want more then eBay the 512MB modules - they fetch decent money there. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.