Macbook is slowing down...

Reaction score
internet takes longer to load up, and now when I watch TV from different websites, its not a clear stream---its all choppy. How can i find out how much memory I am using so i can start cleaning up stuff I don't use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
in answer to your ram question - activity monitor (in the utilities folder)

try repairing the permisions in disk utility (also in utilities folder)

hopes this helps
let me know if it works if not i will try and think of other things that could help.

cheers

crhis

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
If you are running off Wi-Fi, try using "interference robustness" sometimes when I use this, or toggle it, it makes my internet faster.

Reaction score
If you have 512 ram, you might want to consider 1gb, i had the same problem, i upgraded, and now it runs like a champ!!

M

MacHeadCase

Adding RAM to the amount already in your Mac is a must, I would think. So as soon as you can, add some.

For now, you could also download MainMenu and use it to run your Maintenance tasks on a daily, weekly and monthly basis if you don't let your Mac on all the time.

Till you get the extra RAM, to spruce up the performance a little I would use MainMenu to clear all the caches: users, browsers, system, etc. That usually helps a little.

As for the Repairing Disk Permissions thing, if you are running Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.x (which I assume you are using) it isn't as needed as it was with Mac OS X Panther (10.3.x). The messed up disk permissions thing has been pretty much fixed now.

You can always go through that process if you want, but unless you have been really active in playing around with your Mac OS X install, there shouldn't be much permission repairs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Sounds to me like your internet connection has gotten slower. First thing I would try is restarting the cable/dsl modem. This has worked for me before.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.