Auto dimming screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
I'm new to this site and to Macs so please don't jump all over me if this is a stupid question. I have an ibook and I want to disable the autodimming feature. What i mean by that is my screen goes dim if I don't do anything for a little while (such as watching a movie). Is there a way to turn this off?

~Damien

Reaction score
Thundermoon1994 -- Not a stupid question.

Click on the blue Apple in the top left corner of your screen and choose "System Preferences."

Click on "Energy Saver" which is the little lightbulb icon on the second row of the dialog box that comes up.

In the "Settings for:" box, you will need to select Power Adapter. Click on "Options" and then under "Other Options" make sure there is no check mark next to "Automatically reduce the brightness ..."

Then go back to the "Settings for:" box and select Battery. Again, uncheck the box for "Automatically reduce the brightness ..."

You might also want to go to the "Display" icon on the "System Preferences" page, and make sure that "Automatically adjust brightness as ambient light changes" box is unchecked.

OP
Thundermoon1994
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro w/ 2.4 GHz C2D, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB
Thanks a lot, Todd. By the way, I have a shirt with your signature quote on it. ;)

~Damien

Reaction score
iMac auto dim script - permanent fix!!!

yes this does work.. and i believe that this a permanent fix for some people.. but in my case, whenever my iMac is rebooted, the setting breaks.. you have to set it every time you reboot.. I've read this on other sites, so I know other people have this problem..

i've done many hours on research on this issue.. i must credit Sam Elowitch on MacinTouch.com for his efforts on this too.. this is a great script to fix this problem..

use AppleScript to paste this into..

do shell script ("pmset halfdim 0") password ¬
"your_password" with administrator privileges

the ONLY thing you need to change here is the "your_password" section.. do not delete the quotes.. and you must insert that bracket thing on line 1.. that can be found on the character map from the Edit menu... Save it as an application, no startup screen, somewhere on your hard drive. Then, under System Preferences --> Accounts, assign this new application as a Login Item.

lots of steps yes.. but definitely worth the effort if you haven't gotten the silly issue fixed..

Mike

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
yes this does work.. and i believe that this a permanent fix for some people.. but in my case, whenever my iMac is rebooted, the setting breaks.. you have to set it every time you reboot.. I've read this on other sites, so I know other people have this problem..

i've done many hours on research on this issue.. i must credit Sam Elowitch on MacinTouch.com for his efforts on this too.. this is a great script to fix this problem..

use AppleScript to paste this into..

do shell script ("pmset halfdim 0") password ¬
"your_password" with administrator privileges

the ONLY thing you need to change here is the "your_password" section.. do not delete the quotes.. and you must insert that bracket thing on line 1.. that can be found on the character map from the Edit menu... Save it as an application, no startup screen, somewhere on your hard drive. Then, under System Preferences --> Accounts, assign this new application as a Login Item.

lots of steps yes.. but definitely worth the effort if you haven't gotten the silly issue fixed..

Mike

+1 rep for rockinstlouis! That's very handy.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.