airport card range and linksys router

D

dgutz

After hours of updating and finally getting my dual 1ghz G4 running on the linksys network, I found that my airport card range was only about 8 feet. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. When I would put the computer right next to the BEFW11S4 v.4 wireless router I would get full airport signal but when I moved it half way across the room it would drop to almost nothing. Needless to say I got no signal in the next room which is far under the "150 ft range" of the airport card.
Can anyone HELP?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
dgutz said:
After hours of updating and finally getting my dual 1ghz G4 running on the linksys network, I found that my airport card range was only about 8 feet. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. When I would put the computer right next to the BEFW11S4 v.4 wireless router I would get full airport signal but when I moved it half way across the room it would drop to almost nothing. Needless to say I got no signal in the next room which is far under the "150 ft range" of the airport card.
Can anyone HELP?

This may sound like a really stupid and obvious question, but have you checked to make sure the antenna is securely plugged iin to the card? I know, I know - but it always helps to try to eliminate the easiest possibilities first.

OP
D

dgutz

I was not aware of any antenna that should be on the airport card itself. Is there something I am missing? What exactly should I be looking for?

OP
D

dgutz

I figured it out. Sometimes the little things take longer than the hard ones!

OP
S

sillybubu

dgutz said:

hey dgutz, what did you do? I'm getting something similar, Mines dropping every so often.. when my bars are 3/4 then 1/4.. always fluctuating. I've updated my routers firmware, and my airport firmware...

OP
S

SpliceDWDM

?

dgutz said:

I'm curious too...what did you do...was the antenna missing?

OP
S

sillybubu

I've been doing some searching around to see if others were having the same problem and it does seem like the PBG4 has an antenna problem. I'm not sure what apple is going to do about this BUT.. i found a "solution" to The "dropping" problem.
:doctor:

It seems to be working at the moment. it's been 1 hour and no drops.

On your wireless router change your wireless setting to B-ONLY. I read somewhere its better on range..etc. sure you'll loose the G transfer rate for your networked computers but its better then loosing connection every 10secs right!?!

Try it out guys/girls. Lemme know if this helps

sorry if this doesn't really make sense..its been a long day :dummy:

OP
S

SpliceDWDM

sillybubu said:
I've been doing some searching around to see if others were having the same problem and it does seem like the PBG4 has an antenna problem. I'm not sure what apple is going to do about this BUT.. i found a "solution" to The "dropping" problem.
:doctor:

It seems to be working at the moment. it's been 1 hour and no drops.

On your wireless router change your wireless setting to B-ONLY. I read somewhere its better on range..etc. sure you'll loose the G transfer rate for your networked computers but its better then loosing connection every 10secs right!?!

Try it out guys/girls. Lemme know if this helps

sorry if this doesn't really make sense..its been a long day :dummy:

It would be good to see apple do something about this, if it is truly the antenna that's defective. Perhaps they could send a USB wireless adapter to those who are affected?

OP
S

sillybubu

but the Antenna is part of the screen, I'm not sure if they are going to do anything about this.. it would be awsome if they fix it though!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.