Sony DCR DVD405 w/ my MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 Ghz, 1 g memory
I'm new to Mac (2 weeks) and I bought my Mac for the follwing reasons ...

1. It's reputation for reliability and stability
2. It's reputation for superior handling of media files.
3. Safer environment in regards to virus infestation.
4. Ease of use (plug and play)
5. Freedom from Microsoft

However, I've found that although I like my MacBook and feel that I did my homework before I bought. There is one thing that slipped by me and that is the fact that I wouldn't be able to download my family videos from my Sony DCR DVD405 camcorder (no firewire). This is a huge disappointment and now I'm faced with investing in Windows plus parallels or Bootcamp.

Can someone confirm for me that there is no way to work with my videos unless I have a firewire?

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
are you sure it won't work with usb? it may just be a tad slower...

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
According to what I've read, the MacBook won't recognize it. I tried the USB and couldn't get it to work.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I have not heard of any USB video cameras working with Apple products. The only thing I know you can do is get digital pictures of the camera. You will need a bridge of some type. All of the Apple application support firewire only.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 933 quicksilver (2001) 1.5 gb ram, 300 gig hd. Macbok 2.0 duocore2 1 gb ram 13 inch white 120hd
just use boot camp and make your life easier. download it all on to the computer, burn it to dvd and then switch back to mac and use final cut to make ur movies. thats one way of doing things. i have a sharp digital vid cam and it reconizes it in mac tho i guess i lucked out haha.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Core 2 duo
i heard you just need an ilink cable, sony sells them to sync its cameras with mac

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i heard you just need an ilink cable, sony sells them to sync its cameras with mac

The Sony camcorder I'm using is a DCR-DVD405 and it doesn't have an ILink port. It only has USB and an A/V port.

Looks like I'm out of luck!

Thanks guys!

Reaction score
I have the dvd 301. The mac reads it just fine with the usb cable the camera came with. I havent really bothered installing the software the camera came with. I have no idea if it work with mac or not. At this point I dont care. I am buying a HD camera from sony so I can use this mac like it was meant to.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Intel Core 2 Duo
Pmaillet, I have had exactly the same experience and I am also at a loss. Before going out to buy a new video camera I am considering any possible option. Have you already tried Boot camp? How did it work?

Reaction score
The wrong UBS cable? Possibly

Sorry for my english, haha je parle le français.

I bought the DCR DVD405 at a good price,
I tried to plug the camera to my iMac, and all my problems disapear when I change the USB cable,
I tried to reach sony to know if they where missing a software, Like Pictrue Motion Browswer made by Sony itself, but, it's not Mac compatible. So!

I when to multiples shop center, and they all pretend that a firewire cable, not in the box, that could help the connection, it doesn't exist!

So I change le USB cable,
and It work! BUT!!!!!1
I didn't Understand than all of the disks i was using had to be FINALIZE!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.