Dropped iMac

Reaction score
Hi all,
Ok, yesterday i had a networking cable run vicariously and needless to say i tripped over it and brought my new iMac crashing down to the floor. Now when i try and power it up the little light on the bottom right hand corner goes on for a second and goes right back off... Now I started trying to take it apart but most of the tutorials i read on the matter were written for iMacs without the isight camera.

I figure someone is going to tell me to bring it in to an apple dealer to have them look at it but if it is possible i would like to try and attempt to repair it on my own. I have a good background in repairing windows machines but i've never touched my mac or opened it because i havent had to ;). Any ideas? I'm not sure how far that kind of expertise goes on this forum but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul

Oh BTW its a 17" G5 model with the 1.9 Ghz processor, third generation i believe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
if you have apple care DO NOT OPEN IT. take it in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
DO NOT TRY AND TAKE ANYTHING APART. it may be covered by warranty or apple care.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
call up apple and find out

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
It won't be covered under AppleCare. AppleCare does not cover accidental damage, only manufacturer's defects.

APP Terms & Conditions said:
b. Limitations The Plan does not cover:
(i) Installation, removal or disposal of the Covered Equipment, or installation, removal, repair, or maintenance of non-Covered Equipment (including accessories, attachments, or other devices such as external modems) or electrical service external to the Covered Equipment;

(ii) Damage to the Covered Equipment caused by accident, abuse, neglect, misuse (including faulty installation, repair, or maintenance by anyone other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider), unauthorized modification, extreme environment (including extreme temperature or humidity), extreme physical or electrical stress or interference, fluctuation or surges of electrical power, lightning, static electricity, fire, acts of God or other external causes
APP Terms & Conditions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3 Ghz i3 iMac, Macbook Pro, Old G5, iPhone, iPad, and a drawer of iPods
Geeee.....

"I have no idea what happened Mr. Apple Support guy. I just tried to turn it on and nothing but this light"

Two weeks later.......
"Mr. Paul, was this machine dropped?"
"Gee, Mr. Apple Support guy I don't think so. I just don't know how something like that could have happened"

Reaction score
I think talleyrand kinda said it, however much I hate saying it. On the other end, I think you should've been more careful, what can I say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 ghz MBP C2D
Bottom line, I would lie like a rug! It got my MBP CD replaced with a C2D so chances are it would work for you. The thing is, if the iMac doesn't show signs of physical damage on the outside, they can't prove that you dropped it and besides, chances of someone dropping an iMac aren't very high. My suggestion is to try and scam them like that. I started out with a new ibook and gone through a black Macbook, MBP CD and now finally with the C2D and only had to pay $500 to upgrade from the black macbook to the MBP. The only difference is that I didn't drop any of them. The ibook I just begged for them to trade in for the new macbook and the mbp CD to C2D I just complained about heat issues and buzzing.
After how many people are having problems with their apple computers, they deserve to be scammed like this more often.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
Bottom line, I would lie like a rug! It got my MBP CD replaced with a C2D so chances are it would work for you. The thing is, if the iMac doesn't show signs of physical damage on the outside, they can't prove that you dropped it and besides, chances of someone dropping an iMac aren't very high. My suggestion is to try and scam them like that. I started out with a new ibook and gone through a black Macbook, MBP CD and now finally with the C2D and only had to pay $500 to upgrade from the black macbook to the MBP. The only difference is that I didn't drop any of them. The ibook I just begged for them to trade in for the new macbook and the mbp CD to C2D I just complained about heat issues and buzzing.
After how many people are having problems with their apple computers, they deserve to be scammed like this more often.

wow...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" 5k imac i7, 295x

that is not right. maybe for hillpw case to tell a little lie is ok (maybe), but what you are doing is imorale and just plain wrong, thats what ruins it for everybody. you abuse it, and everyone will lose it:radioacti

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook Black 2GB iPod Nano & Black 80GB iPod Classic B&W G3 G4's - PowerMac & Cube
Yeah, I think talking about scamming Apple might be against the forum rules...

M

MacHeadCase

I think this is all a question of taking one's own responsibilities. How can you go to Ford with a wrecked car and say there's a manufacturer's defect in your model!?! This is exactly the same thing. Jeez... :radioacti

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Bottom line is, be honest about what happened. Being untruthful about how the computer was damaged in order to receive warranty repair is essentially defrauding the company.

OP
H
Reaction score
can anyone possibly give me a hardware solution....like a power supply or whole new motherboard...my imac is not warrantied and i could probably repair it if someone would give me ideas

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac
#1 - Don't scam anyone
#2 - Be honest, and take it in to an Apple Store. Tell the Genius at the bar what happened and ask "what are my options?"

I honestly feel bad for your situation, its a loss no doubt. However, that doe not justify dishonesty IMO. You can sell it on eBay, to a friend, to just about anyone. Get what you can and apply that to a new machine, say a MB? MBP? They are portable, and will not have many cords to trip on (magsafe, blue tooth, airport connectivity...).

I hope you have a satisfactory resolution to your case, Take care Hillpw! Keep us posted buddy, and best of luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.