POP3 problem

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've just made the switch and I think I'm in love with my Macbook pro. My pupils dilate every time I look at it, and that's even before I start using it.

Just one problem at the moment. I've configured my POP3 account (Tiscali) and although it's receiving emails fine it won't send them. I've checked that I've inputted the SMTP name correctly so I'm not sure what's going wrong.

Any ideas pleaaase?

Shark

PS. When I try to send it says that the sender address was rejected by the server.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
PS. When I try to send it says that the sender address was rejected by the server.

Double and triple check your settings. I take it your using mail right. Sounds like it doesn't like your username try working on that. I Went to Tiscali's web site really no help with mac software. Let me know if you need further assitance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What program are you using for your e-mail?
What is the provider for the e-mail account?

It could simply be a problem with the address you are trying to send to, as well. This wouldn't have anything to do with your settings at all.
What domain are you trying to send to?

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for replying.

I am using Mail. I'm pretty sure all my settings are correct (as far as I know) because I am receiving email. I've tried sending to a few addresses and no joy. The POP account is from Tiscali.

Should I delete and re input the account?

Reaction score
I had the exact opposite problem. I could send mail out but could not receive. It was my server's fault and they eventually fixed the issue.
In your outgoing mail server (found if pref. in mail) is there only ONE outgoing mail server name -- when you click on the arrow, make sure there's only one. Sometimes it will flip back and forth and cause problems. Is it authenticated as password or not? Sometimes playing around with that option helps too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Check with your ISP. Some don't use standard ports for SMTP.

Some use port 25, but many have started to switch to other ports, most commonly port 587 (which is used by gmail).

Also, make sure your ISP knows you want to send using their server-- oftentimes there's a setting you need to select so they know you can send mail through them.

What is the error you're seeing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
I had the SAME problem - could receive mail just fine, but not send it. SAME error. I resolved it by clearing the outgoing mail settings for using userid and password. When I set this to "no authentication" (sorry, I am travelling and not at my Mac, so I can't tell you the exact field names) it started to work just fine. Scary, but it works. It can't REALLY be sending without authentication - I am assuming there is a bug in Mail.

Reaction score
I never had problems with my mail going thru my ISP til lately. Although now everything is working (fingers crossed).
But I bet the problem lies in that outgoing mail server. I'd try with password being the authentication first and you might see something like.... mail.your server name.net.your username
If that doesn't work, try.... NO authentication and you'll see....mail.your server name.net(or com - whichever your server is using)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.