Can I plug my formerly windows-used external hard drive full of data into my macbook?

Reaction score
I have a western digital 80 gig full of music etc. which was formerly used with my windows machine. Can I just plug it into the macbook usb and have it read my music or would that not work/be bad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
if its formated ntfs then its read only if its formated fat/fat32 then you can read and write

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
It will work just fine. When I moved from PC to Mac that is exactly how I transferred all my files across to the Mac. Worked very well.

OP
pruppert
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I used my windows machine to find out that the hard drive was in fact formatted fat 32. So then I plugged it into my macbook without a hitch and was able to read all the data. :black:

The only thing I would add is that when disconnecting the drive, you have to first eject it using finder. On my windows machine, I could simply unplug it. I only know this because one time I didn't eject it first. OS X immediately scolded me and warned that I could lose data if I didn't first eject the drive (although I didn't lose any data, thank god).

Reaction score
This is true with any mounted volume, be it a DVD, Ext HD or iPod, well not so much for discs but in the case of an ext HD or iPod, it's very important to eject the volume correctly. With discs you can eject them using the keyboard eject button or by dragging the disc icon to the Trash.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.