• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Basic iMovie help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GM ram, 128mb vram, Macbook, iPhone 3G 8g
I got ilife for X-mas (some of you might remember that I deleted it when I first got my ibook.

So now I have iMovie and I just have some basic things that I want don't, but I don't know how to do them.

First of all, I was wondering if it was possible to click on each clip, and it will show EACH FRAME of the clip. In quicktime player you can use the arrow keys to move through the video, when you tap the key once, the movie advances one frame. So I just want to be able to see the frames of the clip I have.

I know about the "create still image"

Thats all for now, thanks :)

Reaction score
If I understand your query aright, it is exactly the same for iMovie.

Certainly when I have a movie, either in the timeline or selected from the clips box I can advance or retard my movie 1 frame at a time by using the right and left arrows.

Remember that iMovie counts frames and not just seconds so 0.1.12 is 1.5 seconds, or 1sec and 12 frames ..... HTH?

The Stubster

OP
Jay Ray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not sure If I dont understand, or if you dont.

Okay, well I want to cut down my clips, I know you can go to the side of the clips and cut them down from the side, but what if you want to cut them down from the middle or something? Or if you want to give a part of the clip slow motion, not the whole clip.

I basicly want improved clip editing using imovie, the thing is I dont know if imovie has it, or if it does, how to get it.

I hope someone understands this.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can split clips in iMovie, but i don't know about slow motion. To split a clip, place your play head where you want to split the clip. Then under the advance drop down menu, you should find something about split clip at play head.

Reaction score
Yeah, the arrows keys should move the playhead one frame per hit. Then when you come to a place you want to split the clip for editing purposes hit command+t

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2xQuad core 2.8GHZ
Yeah iMovie does slow mo.

Click Editing, then click video fx, and look for "fast/slow/reverse"

Reaction score
Del beat me to the answer - yes there are slow mo effects or you could always add one of the multitude of plugins available.

So, you split your clip at the point where you want the slow mo to start and finish and then you select the specific cliiped clip and apply teh appropriate video fx to it.

OP
Jay Ray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Right Click the clip (photo) and select "Edit photo settings"

OP
Jay Ray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did that, then it just goes to the iphoto section of imovie, what am I supposed to do then?

Reaction score
Couldn't you get iLife off the CD that came with your Macbook when you deleted it?

Del

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did that, then it just goes to the iphoto section of imovie, what am I supposed to do then?

Edit the settings - in particular uncheck the check box for the Ken burns effect (zoom)

OP
Jay Ray
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok, ill try that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.