[HELP] Can't delete a folder

Reaction score
I think it is because the folder has some weird or 'special characters' in its file name. When I try to delete, it gives me error code -43. If I move the folder its in into the trash, and empty trash, nothing happens, gives the sound but it's still in the trash. When I try to rename the folder, it says An unexpected error occured (error code -43)

Anyone know how I can delete it? It's really annoying :(

M

MacHeadCase

Welcome here, srules5000. Enjoy your stay.

Did you try Secure Empty Trash instead of Empty Trash?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
If MacHeadCase's advice doesn't work, you can download an app like Cocktail which has a "Force Empty Trash" button.

This has happened to me occasionally, usually when loading some poorly-written installers (like the PalmOS Desktop for Mac).

Good luck!

OP
S
Reaction score
rebooted like 5 times already. will try cocktail, see what happens :(

cocktail didn't work :(

Reaction score
If all else fails, you might have to go into terminal to dump it. You'll have to use the "sudo" command and then dragging the folder into terminal and it will dump it. But like others might tell you - it's the last resort. I've had to do it a couple of times and never had any problems. But I had to log out as me and log in as "root" and give root a password. Then I could dump the file but you've got to make sure you don't forget to log out as root (re-activating security) and log back in as you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
If all else fails, you might have to go into terminal to dump it. You'll have to use the "sudo" command and then dragging the folder into terminal and it will dump it. But like others might tell you - it's the last resort. I've had to do it a couple of times and never had any problems. But I had to log out as me and log in as "root" and give root a password. Then I could dump the file but you've got to make sure you don't forget to log out as root (re-activating security) and log back in as you.

I have used this. Is there a way of deleting the filenames that were transported to the Terminal Application in the Utilities folder?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.