• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I need help

Reaction score
Hey I'm a complete noob to Mac, I just got Mac OS X for Christmas and I am trying to install Fire Fox, I downloaded the file, it was in dmg format, which I was expecting. However, i don't know what to do with it, the only thing I've been able to do is mount it, and run Fire Fox from the mounted file, but I want to actually install it, how do I do that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
Hey I'm a complete noob to Mac, I just got Mac OS X for Christmas and I am trying to install Fire Fox, I downloaded the file, it was in dmg format, which I was expecting. However, i don't know what to do with it, the only thing I've been able to do is mount it, and run Fire Fox from the mounted file, but I want to actually install it, how do I do that?

Drag the Firefox icon from the mounted drive window to your applications folder that will install it on your hard drive.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
once the dmg is open, you'll see one or more files in a new window.

drag the firefox icon to your applications folder.
you could also create a firefox folder in the applications folder to hold the app and/or any doco that was in the dmg also.

once the app is in your applications folder. you can "eject" the dmg from the top left pane in finder, then if you like trash the dmg file or archive it.

you can also drag the app from the app folder to your dock which will create a "shortcut" on the dock.

OP
tynen
Reaction score
Thank you both. ^_^ So where will all of my extentions and such go? just wondering if you guys know

OP
tynen
Reaction score
oh, tried that and I don't have administrative rights, how do i give my self admin rights? I just turned comp on today well, yesterday, been on it for hours now

Reaction score
If you are the only user, you should have admin rights. If not, talk to the owner about getting them. If not, install Firefox in your user folder.

The extensions you install will go in /Users/<your name>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/Profiles/<randomletters>/

Reaction score
if you don't have admin rights i would recommend making an applications folder in your homefolder and from now on install the applications you want into that folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
post moved from other thread to help keep forums organized:

tynen, you will want to double click the .dmg file to mount it. Once you have done that, you want to drag the Firefox icon from the mounted file to your applications folder in finder. Hope this helps.

Reaction score
The link directly above me shows three graphics: the downloaded dmg, the firefox "folder", and then the round icon to be dragged to app folder. Once the round icon has been dragged to app folder, can the other two items be trashed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4 OSX Tiger
The link directly above me shows three graphics: the downloaded dmg, the firefox "folder", and then the round icon to be dragged to app folder. Once the round icon has been dragged to app folder, can the other two items be trashed?

Yes. For most apps all you really need is the .app file (some have a folder in the dmg that you drag to the applications folder instead).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.