I need some help from an audiophile

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
I need help choosing my next step up in headphones. I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-EX71 in-ear style headphones. These headphones sold me on the in-ear design but im looking for a step up in sound quality. I've heard a lot of good things about the Ultimate Ears Super.Fi3's. $100 is about as high as I'll go for headphones, maybe a bit higher but anything above $150 is out of the range I can afford in my current situation. These Ultimate Ears are just about the only headphones that fall in my range and that I know of that are widely accepted as a good set.

If anyone could recommend something for me or give your opinion on the Super.Fi3's, that'd would be awesome!

Thanks one and all!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Check out THIS forum at iLounge. You'll find some real audiophiles there and you'll be able to get all your questions answered.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo
www.head-fi.org - All the headphone info you'll ever need! :)

I have Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 Pro's. They are amazing. I use them with my iPod and love them.

When listening to music on my Mac or other music at home, I use Beyerdynamic DT-990 Pro's with a dedicated headphone amp (Meier Audio HA1-MKII) and an Edirol UA-1X USB sound card. Now THIS sounds nice :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
I had the Sony EX-71s for years and loved them. In fact, they're the pair I still use when I work out.

I replaced them with a pair of Shure E2Cs. I have a 45-minute train commute (each way) every day, and these phones are wonderful-- they keep out the outside noise and sound fantastic. I even use them on my home system sometimes.

(My main "home" headphones are a pair of Grado SR60s. And when I want to go retro I still have my Koss Pro/4aa headphones I bought in high school. :)

Good luck!

V

vcrew

Check out the reviews here:
http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=213036
and
http://www.ipodobserver.com/story/29271

I got FS1 earphones after last year MacWorld Expo when I heard them side by side with the Sony, UltimaEars and Eytomodic. The XtremeMac ones were awesome and I didn't have to turn them up too loud to get the bass. The foam is a little more comfortable, but has to get replaced a lot. The rubbery ones sound good, but do not block the sound as good. The sound is better than anything out there and I have all lossless music or source audio w. a Total BitHead amp or an original Tandberg amp.

I hear things in the audio I've never heard before and it is more natural. Things like reverb effects and even a little cough in a recording are delightfully audible. It is like listening to my music for the first time all over again.

Just listen to them side by side with no effects or EQ. Find what you like for you. Everyone can say what they like but it could be different from your own taste.

Season's Greetings!

Michael

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
The E-2Cs are nice, but not worth the $99 price tag IMHO.

OP
CarlConti08
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5 GHz, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HD
well thanks for all the great info, i went with the Sennheiser CX300's b/c:

1.Cheaper than $100

2.Which? magazine after an intensive review chose the CX300's over Super.fi5's and ER-6i's based on performance, not value. I'd say thats pretty darn good for the $70 pricetag

3.Readily available. I wanted them quick and the ultimate ears and etymotic's are sort of hard to come by in local retail stores

I like them a lot so far. They cancel out sound a lot better than the EX71's. That forum link to the iLounge was extremely helpful. Thanks Baggss! So thank you all for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.