iChat, Adium, and Netgear Router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17": 2.33ghz, 160GB, Mac Pro 2.66: 1.25TB, 6GB RAM
Okay, I'm having an odd problem with my brand new 17" MBP and my Netgear router (WGR614 v6). My internet connection works fine for browsing and what not but I'm running into problems with iChat and Adium. iChat will log in once fine, but if I log out or close the program, I it will give me an connection error message, and I have to restart the computer before it will let me sign on again. When I try to launch Adium, it says I'm connected but won't show my buddy list and no one else can see me online. Its getting a little frustrating, especially since both programs work fine on other networks. I've tried changing from WEP to WPA encryptions ranging from 64-128bit, even turning security off totally with no results. Is there some router setting that's required for these programs that I'm missing? The network supports a windows laptop with AIM without any problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 GHz Intel Imac Core 2 Duo//MacBook 1.83 Core 2 Duo//G5 Power Mac

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I had some problems once with the 10.3.8 update to Panther after the update was installed with iChat and other progies. No other router had the issue, just the netgear MR-814 V2. It was something to do with the 10.3.8 update that came out for Panther and the Netgear. The next update (10.3.9) took care of it but there was a workaround which I will check into. That should not be an issue with Tiger on an Intel Mac. At the time I tried 8 other different Linksys routers, a Dlink and a CompUSA router and none of them had the issue, just the Netgear MR-814. In general I have had more strange Issues with Netgear routers and certain systems than any other router I have tried and I have used them all here.

What the issue was caused by was Multicasting and the Netgear not supporting it. The only fix here at the time was to install my Linksys in place of the netgear.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.