G5 Pwbk

B

birkett

Hi,
I'm just about to buy a 17" G4 Powerbook for my music production.

I heard that IBM have just finished making the components for the G5 Powerbook and that the product line should be ready for this summer.

I have a question for those wired dudes : -

Now, should I go and buy the G4 next week?
or
Wait until the summer for the G5?

Do you think that the newest release will be faulty and will comprise my work with the hardware etc.? Is it better to stay with a long running product like the G4? or am I talking bull sh**?
Would love to have some feedback.
Later,
dude :-/

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It all depends on your need and what you plan to do with it. What are your requirements?

OP
B

birkett

rman said:
It all depends on your need and what you plan to do with it. What are your requirements?

Well you see I run Logic Audio Pro on my G4 Powermac with about 2GB of Ram. I really need a cpu that gives me alot of RAM extentions, also some thing that handles alot external gear that will probably be running on the battery. One of the reasons why I hesitate with the G5, (will the G5 batt be as good as the G4?).
and a big screen for location recording.
That's about it.

OP
S

StarManta

birkett said:
Well you see I run Logic Audio Pro on my G4 Powermac with about 2GB of Ram. I really need a cpu that gives me alot of RAM extentions, also some thing that handles alot external gear that will probably be running on the battery. One of the reasons why I hesitate with the G5, (will the G5 batt be as good as the G4?).
and a big screen for location recording.
That's about it.

While the G4 processor can only take 4 GB of RAM, and the G5 can take a helluva lot, I doubt that there will be enough support in the book, physically, for any more than 4GB.

As far as running on battery, I expect the battery life will be pretty much the same as with the current Powerbooks. That's just a guess though; it depends on how IBM/Apple engineer the PB version of the chip and its power management.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.