transfer all songs on one mac to another

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro with a large library of songs. I want to move them to my new Macbook. I have a desktop (PC) that has a wireless router (don't know if that's relevent)

I would like to connect the MB Pro to the Macbook (wirelessly or by cable) and just import the songs. I noticed that I can copy songs over without them appearing in Itunes without being imported.

Anybody have the experience here to make this simple?

Thanks,:headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
I have a Macbook Pro with a large library of songs. I want to move them to my new Macbook. I have a desktop (PC) that has a wireless router (don't know if that's relevent)

I would like to connect the MB Pro to the Macbook (wirelessly or by cable) and just import the songs. I noticed that I can copy songs over without them appearing in Itunes without being imported.

Anybody have the experience here to make this simple?

Thanks,:headphone

Yeah all you have to do is get a firewire cable and connect the two macbooks.Turn on your macbook then as you startup your macbook pro and hold down t and you will be in target disk mode and you can copy and paste them over. It's pretty easy.

OP
Y
Reaction score
Yeah all you have to do is get a firewire cable and connect the two macbooks.Turn on your macbook then as you startup your macbook pro and hold down t and you will be in target disk mode and you can copy and paste them over. It's pretty easy.

Will this work with an ethernet cable? Also when I hold down the "t" when starting up I get an odd screen with that includes what looks like an hourglass. It doesn't do anything else just stays there.

:confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
No, it only works with a FireWire cable. What you see is the Firewire target disc icon on the screen. If it were connected to the other machine, that machines Hard Drive would show up on the others desktop.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2 GB Ram,Mac Pro Dual 2.66,10 GB Ram Feeding into a 30" LCD
I belive you can only do it with a firewire cable.

OP
Y
Reaction score
No, it only works with a FireWire cable. What you see is the Firewire target disc icon on the screen. If it were connected to the other machine, that machines Hard Drive would show up on the others desktop.

Thank you to both of you.

I'll have to pick up a cable.

What about getting the songs imported into Itunes in mass? I have copied a couple over from my desk top but they don't show up in the Itunes library intill they are played or imported. Can I import them in-mass?

:headphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If you have an ipod you can put all the songs on the ipod and then transfer them over to the computer from the ipod via a program like ipoddisk

OP
Y
Reaction score
We have a 2 Gb (really about 1.7gb). I have about five times that in files to transfer.

Do you need Ipodisk? Can you just sync it to the new computer with the ipod and Itunes?

OP
Y
Reaction score
Firewire connection between computers. Old computer (one transfering from) started up last holding the "t" key put it in target disk mode like you all said. The harddrive showed up on the new computer and I was able to drag the entire set of folders containing the music files and drop them into the Itunes library. Imported quite a few files quickly and easily.

Thanks for the help.

yugtun:cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Can I import them in-mass?

:headphone

Sure. Put them all wherever you want them and just point iTunes to that folder via FILE > AD TO LIBRARY. iTunes will add any music files in the folder you select, even if they are in sub-folders.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.