getting hotmail to work in mail

Reaction score
hi,

I have a macbook, osx 10.4.8. I am trying to get mail to recieve my hotmail emails. I have downloaded the webmail plugin httpmail or something like that. When i set the account up in mail it says i need a subscription. i managed to set up hotmail in thunderbird but i'm stuck in mail. could anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
i think that hotmail only works in external appls e.g. mail if you have the premium version. not sure what its called but i think you have to pay for it.

OP
M
Reaction score
yea but i got it to work in thunderbird, so there must be a way to get it to work in mail

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
yea but i got it to work in thunderbird, so there must be a way to get it to work in mail

Is your Hotmail a Pay account? If it worked in Thunderbird it will work in Mail. I will do some searching and find out for you. Does it use POP and SMTP servers? If so mail will work. I will get back to you if I find out how to set up mail with it.

EDIT: Ok, there is a way IF you have HotMail PLUS. Here is a URL that tells exactly how to do it. You have to download and install a Plugin in Mail and set it up. This site tells you how.

http://email.about.com/cs/macosxmailtips/qt/et042503.htm

Hope this helps you get it running. If not let me know.

...Dennis

OP
M
Reaction score
i don't have hotmail plus, there is a way to do it with freePoPs but i'm not very good with computers so find it too hard to follow, i would appreciate it if someone give me a simplified way to do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 1.8Ghz 512MB
i've tried it before, and have checked microsoft support, and there is no way to put the free accounts on mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
if it works in thunderbird then just download that and use that for your hotmail and use mail for your other accounts.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.