PC To Mac on a portable hard drive

Reaction score
This may have a simple answer, but I’m not sure. I know there have been several SIMILAR threads, but nothing specific to this situation.

I switched to mac about 6 months ago, and when I did I also bought one of the 30GB Ipods with video. I figured I’d just use my old PC for storage and uploaded every CD and song I have to itunes on it (roughly about 5,000 songs). If I bought a new CD I just uploaded it to the mac then dragged it to the ipod, which worked well; but I can’t update my ipod from itunes on the mac because the ipod is in ‘pc format’.

I just got a portable hard drive for christmas though, and was wondering if I could just use it instead of the PC. I figured I could drag my itunes library from the PC to the hard drive, then access the hard drive from the itunes on the mac after I formatted the ipod, but I’m not sure if this will work. It sounds like it would, but I’d like to know before I try and screw something up.

Anybody know the best way to go about this?

Thanks!
Matt

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Sure can, just make sure the drive is formatted as FAT 32 if you want the Mac to be able to write to it. Macs can read NTFS drives but not write to them. After that, you're good to go.

To update your iPod, you either need to use a PC, or let a Mac reformat it and update it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.