FileVault

L

lnetubaplyr

I was just wondering if this slows down the computer any? i would assume it might, but i wasn't sure, anyone with experience know? Thanks

Rob.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16 MBP, 2GB, 7200 100GB disk | Dual 2Ghz G5, 1.5Gb RAM, 20" cinema | 15" 1.25 PB / 4Gb iPod Nano
lnetubaplyr said:
I was just wondering if this slows down the computer any? i would assume it might, but i wasn't sure, anyone with experience know? Thanks

Rob.

I considered using Filevault on my Powerbook. Ive seen similar systems on the PC and experience has shown they are very slow but I thought I would give Apple a chance. I even got to the stage of switching it on sitting at the working screen waiting for it to encrypt everthing. After seeing how long it was going to take to encrypt my users folder I cancelled and did some more research.

There are a few posts around on the net that show a massive decrease in performance of a Powerbook with FileVault switched on, I can understand this as the machine has to decrypt each file on the fly as you use it.

The only recomendation I can give is turn it on and see what a difference there in performance then turn it off again if needed.

OP
S

s3pt1k

It does have some impact on performance as your are encrypting everything going to and coming from the drive. I turned mine off due to inconsistancies with iMovie and have seen a noticable change in performance.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.