iPod HD Broken G4

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.0 ghz 1.25 RAM 60 GB
I dropped the 20GB on a wooden floor, and now it will not load any music. The ipod will fire up alright, but there will be no music, and empty playlists. I know that there's a website somewhere showing how to replace the hardrive using a broken ipod off of ebay or something. Can any of you help out? Thanks!

:black:

Reaction score
Something similar happened to me, except it was my battery. Also, once I thought i bricked my iPod because i dropped it and it wouldn't show up when i connected it into my PC but when i connected to my mac, it recognized and i formatted using disk utility. But if nothing else works(restore, hard reset, disk mode) then you should replace the HDD with a new one. Don't worry, replacing a HDD is REALLY easy. Just open up the back casing and the mini HDD is right there. Disconnect the old HDD and connect the new one. Restore. Easy as that! Hopefully that helped a little

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
I dropped the 20GB on a wooden floor, and now it will not load any music. The ipod will fire up alright, but there will be no music, and empty playlists. I know that there's a website somewhere showing how to replace the hardrive using a broken ipod off of ebay or something. Can any of you help out? Thanks!

:black:

more information would be great.. do you get an pictures on the ipod? sad face? file with ! ?

If it is a hard drive issue you will need to buy a new drive and get it replaced or replace it yourself.

www.ifixipodsfast.com has a TON of great videos showing how to do different repairs on different ipods..

you can find good prices on new ipod drives on ebay.. that will be your cheapest option.. or you could price drives on www.ifixipodsfast.com or www.ipodresq.com or www.ipodmods.com

good luck.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
more information would be great.. do you get an pictures on the ipod? sad face? file with ! ?

If it is a hard drive issue you will need to buy a new drive and get it replaced or replace it yourself.

www.ifixipodsfast.com has a TON of great videos showing how to do different repairs on different ipods..

you can find good prices on new ipod drives on ebay.. that will be your cheapest option.. or you could price drives on www.ifixipodsfast.com or www.ipodresq.com or www.ipodmods.com

good luck.

Thanks you guys. I did some more research on the given websites, and I think I have a problem - I don't know how to diagnose the problem - I don't have either symbols, file or sad face, so how can I be sure it's the hard drive? I found how to do the hard drive, but what if it's something else, like one of the green pieces. Is there a program or a way to diagnose the problem? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
reset it (menu select) then press rewind and select fast at the same time to force it into diagnostics mode and do the hard drive test

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Thanks you guys. I did some more research on the given websites, and I think I have a problem - I don't know how to diagnose the problem - I don't have either symbols, file or sad face, so how can I be sure it's the hard drive? I found how to do the hard drive, but what if it's something else, like one of the green pieces. Is there a program or a way to diagnose the problem? Thanks!

go through these steps one by one

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303940

if none of that works I suggest you go to www.ifixipodsfast.com

for $6.50 you can send your ipod to them and they will look at it and tell you what your issue is.. from there you can choose to fix it or have it sent back.. if you choose to have them fix it they will credit you the $6.50

not a bad deal to figure out what your issue is..

and by the way the guy at www.ifixipodsfast can be trusted. I have used him for a hard drive issue. he really knows his stuff and you will have your ipod back in less than a week.

good luck

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
go through these steps one by one

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303940

if none of that works I suggest you go to www.ifixipodsfast.com

for $6.50 you can send your ipod to them and they will look at it and tell you what your issue is.. from there you can choose to fix it or have it sent back.. if you choose to have them fix it they will credit you the $6.50

not a bad deal to figure out what your issue is..

and by the way the guy at www.ifixipodsfast can be trusted. I have used him for a hard drive issue. he really knows his stuff and you will have your ipod back in less than a week.

good luck

Thanks guys! I finally got the sad face icon. After reviewing some videos online, I decided to just go ahead and replace the harddrive. I already have it apart, and am waiting on my new harddrive. I can't wait! I'm so excited to be able to know how to work on ipods! I think the next step is going to be replacing the battery - didn't work too well. I love the internet!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.