New Macbook problem

Reaction score
From day one My macbook would show X for the battery indicator. I have done everything from resetting the pram to reinstalling all the software and it has done nothing. Apple finally decided to send me a replacement battery which took 3 weeks, after I took a trip to the apple store and they said it was the battery. I had the new battery for a week and all was going well. Then all of a sudden the X showed up again out of nowhere on the battery indicator. So back I went to the apple store and they did testing. They guy at the genius bar said they will be replacing my motherboard and the topcase with the keyboard, and a new battery. Does anyone think this is the issue or I just received a lemon and should request a new on?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
If the Macbook still exhibits problems after the repair, then yes, you may have a lemon on your hands. Though I'll admit that if you have the option to get a new one right now, you should definitely go for it since you won't waste time trying to get to the point where you'll be given a replacement anyway.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
motherboard should do it. had the same problem with an HP notebook actually. battery just wouldn't charge, couldn't run a refresh from the battery management software. replaced the mobo, all was well (as well as could be for an HP notebook anyway).

OP
M
Reaction score
The battery would charge up. That problem is that it would just show x on the indicator. So weird. But yea maybe I'll call the apple store up see if i can request a replacement instead of waiting two weeks for them to fix my macbook.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
As the others said, it sounds like the motherboard.

The key to getting a replacement is with the way you present your case. If you simply ask a telephone customer service person for a replacement it's doubtful you'll get one.

The best approach would be to visit the Genius Bar and explain your disappointment calmly and clearly. Explain why you're disappointed (e.g. you can't use the machine under certain circumstances, etc.) and if necessary, get a manager involved to present your case. Customer Service and Geniuses do not have the power to make the call for a replacement.

If they don't replace the computer, they very well may put you to the top of the queue for a repair since you've already gone through this once. Again, the key is to keep an even keel when presenting your case.

Good luck!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.