Mail.app problem with IMAP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" 1.8Ghz iMac G5 512MB
I recently got a macbook so I've switched to IMAP to more easily stay in sync between the notebook and the desktop. I've noticed some very annoying behavior though.

Doesn't matter what server (I have lots of email addresses,) On the macbook accounts will take themselves offline all the time. It's kind of random. Some days it won't happen at all, sometimes it's all the time and I can't get them back online. There's no specific error message, just "error reading data from the server." The thing is... there is no problem reading data from the server! I can use my webmail app, which uses IMAP, or thunderbird, and no problem whatsoever.

Has anyone else experienced this? It's killing me here. I like mail app, but this kind of behavior is making me want to switch everything to gmail or yahoo and say goodbye to desktop mail programs forever.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.