Screen flickering problem

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I noticed a month or so after I got my macbook that the screen flickered a bit when plugged in and when running on battery. I didnt think much of it because it didnt do it very often (a few flickers, not much change in screen brightness) but now it seems to be getting worse. *** flickers for longer and the flickers darker too. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The computer its fairly new (got it in September) and has not had anything happen to it like being dropped. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
ack, that doesn't sound good. mine is rock solid.

do you have your firmwre updated? not likely, but worth a shot.

if that doesn't work, take it in.

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
firmware has been updated. also, I've had problems with the screen not coming on after coming out of sleep mode. I can see the screen if I look at it close, but it doesnt actually light up. I guess I'll have to bring it in :(

Reaction score
I agree. Take it in. I use mine pretty hard and I haven't experienced anything like you describe.

Thank goodness for warranty. A friend of mine had a chance to deal with the Mac geniuses and they seemed willing to help, for the most part.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
let us know how it turns out.

good luck!

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
should I take it back to the store I bought it from or deal directly with mac? The store I got it from is not an Apple Store but is an authorized apple retailer.

If I have to deal directly with apple, how do I contact them? I looked on the support website but everything seemed to be geared towards DIY fixes

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
there should be a support phone # somewhere on the site?

here you go: check this page

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
thanks

looks like the store I got it from is an authorized service center, so I'll have to take it to them tuesday I guess.....yay?

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
just an update, I brought the macbook into the shop to be fixed. The guy said it sounds most likely like a hardware problem and should be fixed by the end of the week.

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
well I got the computer back from repairs...we'll see how well its fixed.

Silly me, when they guy asked if I wanted the $85 data backup I asked if he though I needed it and he said "Well it sounds like its definitely a hardware problem, so you'd only loose the information on the HDD if there was some kind of accident" so of course I opted to keep $85 in my pocket.

Guess how the apple tech decided to fix the problem? Replacing the hard drive, that'll do it! Then to top it off, they decided to use as many parts from the old HDD to put together the new one, so none of the info was salvageable :eek:

Reaction score
Then to top it off, they decided to use as many parts from the old HDD to put together the new one, so none of the info was salvageable :eek:

I'm new here, but I'm an IT major and have built computers before, so not a rookie. If they told you that I would ask questions. The only part I can see them reusing from the old hdd would be the mounting hardware and a bezel(if there is one. I don't own a mac yet. so not 100% on the bezel) But if the computer could power on and still functions, which you said it could. Then all the data on the old hdd was able to be salvaged. They just did not salvage it for you.(you didn't pay the 85$ to get them to.) If you did you could have saved your data.

What parts did they say they re-used on the hdd?

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
they didn't say which parts the reused. The guy at the front desk asked if I wanted him to check with the tech to see if they could get the data from it and I said yes so he went in the back for about 5 minutes and then came out and said it was gone

Reaction score
I would have asked more questions about that. The hdd was in working order when you brought it in, and then they "re-used" parts from you old hdd, that just sounds fishy to me.

Did you need what was on the hdd?

And did the hdd replace fix your problem?

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
I'm not yet sure if replacing the HDD fixed the problem. I havent seen the flickering since I picked it up, but just earlier tonight I opened the lid of the computer and the screen was white/grey streaky so I closed the lid so it'd go back into sleep mode, and then opened it again and all was fine.

I didnt really "need" anything on the HDD except some things for work that I can re-do, and thats ok because I get paid by the hour :) everything else like pictures/music, most of which is on the PC anyways, is just annoying to have to put back on here

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
three weeks later (wow, seems longer than that) ad I think the flickering is starting again....but we'll see

OP
MBasile
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
so this problem was fixed by apple finally (sent it in rather than going to the repair place) I don't remember what they did because it was so long ago though.

Why am I bumping this thread from the dead? It's starting again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2GHz Core 2 Duo, 80 GB HD, 1 GB memory
ive had the same problem. so i took it in to the genius bar and they would have a look at it. the thing is, the screen didnt flicker while it was in the shop. they said they checked the wiring as that could be a problem. and they also ran it for a couple hours to see if it would happen. it didnt (of course) so they couldnt be to sure of what was causing it. just wondering if any one has the same problem fixed and what was causing their screen to flicker.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in White MacBook ; 2gb ITouch
BUMPPPP

i guess this may be related to this topic and there are several posts under here (i hope someone reads this) but I just now got the flicker problem too!

i was on fb trying to take a photo using fb's photo option and all of a sudden, it "froze" and i couldn't click accept to allow my camera to be used and then my screen started to flicker! i checked forums saying it had to do with the brightness so i tried again but this time, set the brightness lower than bright 100% and it worked fine and i was able to take a photo.. then i tried taking another picture and it flickered and wouldn't allow me to "accept" them to use my camera... and yea, the flickering thing happens again until i close the safari window..

what could cause this? why would that only happen if i'm taking a pic on fb.. not that i do that often but ehhhh ? i'm sure this would get progressively worse.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.