sleep question

Reaction score
Hi all, im not quite sure my energy saver is working. I have set my laptop, so when my computer goes to sleep, it needs a password, to awake. which is fine, when i go, apple, sleep. but in energy saver, when downloading something, i use this as a rough estimate of when to put my computer to sleep.
for example, i have just come home, and my laptop should have been asleep, but it was still hot, and only had to move th mouse to wake it up. first of all, can anyone remind me of where the awake sleep with password is(i cant find it again). and suggest any ideas?
thanks all, this forum is proving a big help in all ways mac, since i found it in october, cheers again.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
system preferences > energy saver (for sleep options)

system preferences > security (for password prompt at wake options)

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks, thing is, as i said. When i set energy saver, all i have to do is move the mouse, and the whole computer comes on, and its still hot, as if it hasnt been to "sleep" at all. And screen, and computer, in energy saver, are set at the same time as well. Its really starting to annoy me.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
do you have any apps running that do not want the compuer to sleep?

have you checked those setting to make sure it's supposed to be sleeping after a set time (maybe just test it at 2 or 3 min to see if it's working ok).
and make sure the security settings have the password promt at wake box checked.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core Duo 17'' 1.83 ghz 512 mb ram
you could always check the put the hard drive to sleep option if its not already checked

OP
T
Reaction score
Done all of these options, you 2 have mentioned, already. Pretty annoying, coming home to a bioling hot laptop, when it should have been alseep for lke 4 or 5 hours.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
maybe try unsetting all those options, restarting and then resetting all the options. couldn't hurt until someone has a better idea...

OP
T
Reaction score
will do, and will tell you what happens, in a few mins...back then!

OP
T
Reaction score
same thing happens. the blue light on the open lid button is also dimming in and out, so it is asleep.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
gah, it's possessed...

which type of notebook is it?
do you have all your firmware up to date?

OP
T
Reaction score
mbp, software update, including firmware, a few days ago. thinking of it, the problem ive been talking about has come about since updating it...

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
maybe you need to reset the pram (not sure, but i seem to remember people saying this for similar issues). maybe check apple's support site for this?

OP
T
Reaction score
seems to be working now. i put the monitor to sleep before the computer, and alls well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.