Student looking for help

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm looking to make the big leap from a PC to Mac. I've been looking around and I think I'll only be able to afford the 17 inch 2.0 ghz iMac at the moment since I'm still in high school. The main things I'll need will be internet browsing, MSN, support for soulseek, iPod stuff and programs for school use (word processing). Would this Mac be a good choice for me?

I might be able to upgrade a bit later after I get some more cash. I'm thinking it would be best to upgrade my RAM first? The hard drive would be big enough and I don't think I'll be doing much gaming on it since I have my 360 for that stuff.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
Hey guys,
I'm looking to make the big leap from a PC to Mac. I've been looking around and I think I'll only be able to afford the 17 inch 2.0 ghz iMac at the moment since I'm still in high school. The main things I'll need will be internet browsing, MSN, support for soulseek, iPod stuff and programs for school use (word processing). Would this Mac be a good choice for me?

I might be able to upgrade a bit later after I get some more cash. I'm thinking it would be best to upgrade my RAM first? The hard drive would be big enough and I don't think I'll be doing much gaming on it since I have my 360 for that stuff.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I think that Mac would be a good choice for you. When you do have a chance to upgrade I agree that you should go for the RAM upgrade first..

Good luck..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The main things I'll need will be internet browsing, MSN, support for soulseek, iPod stuff and programs for school use (word processing).
Practically ANY computer on the market today would be fine for those needs. :black:
If you are dead set on a Mac, I would suggest getting a Mini. Much less expensive than an iMac and it would still be able to handle your needs quite well.
Make sure to try a Mac out first if you can, and be prepared for a learning curve with the new OS. The key is to remember to forget.... forget about Windows, that is. When you are using a Mac (especially a new user) be sure to turn off the "Windows switch" in your head. Don't compare Mac OS to Windows, forget how you did things in Windows, pay no mind to what apps there are in Windows, forget about the Windows file structure, the Windows look and feel, and simply forget everything about Windows period when using a Mac.
Learn how to do things the Mac way and don't look for crutches or any third party apps that will make your Mac look, act, work and feel like you are using Windows.
Trust me, it will make the transition and use of a Mac so much easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White 2ghz Core Duo Macbook, 2ghz RAM, 60gb Hard drive, SuperDrive
I agree with all that he said--but the iMac's RAM is easier to upgrade. Unless you are willing to bust open a Mini with a putty knife, I'd order it with what you want (or get an iMac).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.