Modem Icon in Menu Bar

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15", 2Ghz Intel Core Duo, 2Gb, 250Gb, 10.5.2
I recently upgraded my iBook to a MacBook Pro. (I LOVE my MacBook Pro!) When I booted my MacBook Pro for the first time, I used the Migration Assistant to transfer everything from my iBook to the new notebook. The one problem I had and have not been able to fix is this; in the menu bar, the modem status icon shows up; as it had on my iBook.

I can't turn it off because the MacBook Pro does not have a modem. I open Network Preferences and browse through the connections and since there isn't a modem installed, I don't have the ability to turn off the icon.

This is really a minor, cosmetic thing; but it really bugs me. Does anyone know of a way to remove the modem icon from the menu bar when you don't actually have a modem?

The only way I can think of is to purchase a USB modem, go into Network Preferences and then turn of the icon in the menu bar. Then toss the modem; as I really have no need for it anymore. Seems like a lot of trouble and expense for something that can probably be cured through the command line or a hidden Finder feature.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
You need to go to:
Applications->Internet Connect

There, you can select internal modem from the top and uncheck the box to show modem status in menu bar.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Re: OS 10.4 - Modem Icon in Menu Bar

You need to go to:
Applications->Internet Connect

There, you can select internal modem from the top and uncheck the box to show modem status in menu bar.

D3v1L80Y, you're the best and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Thanks for that, although I feel like a moron now. But then again, that's how learning takes place.

I appreciate the help. Thanks to you and everyone else on the board. I use it as a frequent resource while pursuing this new world of computing.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Another trick for people using the search function who see this would be to go up and apple click the icon and drag it off ...

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
See, another trick I wasn't aware of. Thank you PowerBookG4. I suppose you can do that with any icon in the menubar?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.