Questions from probable switcher on email, treo, etc

R

RT21093

Greetings
I am thinking seriously about making the switch when I start my new job in January and getting a .mac membership
1. With Mac mail, can you import email- I would like to keep the mac mail account for my personal email and import my work email (a Netscape mail service) to Mac mail. This way I can hopefully just use iAddress and iCal for both work and home and just open one email account (please advise if this is doable)
2. If above scenario possible, will it then be possible to use a Treo (with Palm operating system) to sync with above and get both home and work emails
3. Can I do all this and still use the Mac applications- I really do not want to use Entourage as I am not a big fan of Outlook- however I am definitely open to suggestions
Thanks in advance for your answers
RT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
1 - Yes

2 - Not that I know of, but I have not tried with my 700P

3 - With the posable exception of #2, yes.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
1 - Yes

2 - Not that I know of, but I have not tried with my 700P

3 - With the posable exception of #2, yes.

Not to hijack this thread, but while we're on the subject of email, I have a real quick question. I use a freeware application on XP called "POP Peeper" that runs in the system tray and simultaneously checks all of my POP3 and web-based email accounts (Yahoo, GMail, etc.) for new mail. Is there a similar application on the Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive
Not to hijack this thread, but while we're on the subject of email, I have a real quick question. I use a freeware application on XP called "POP Peeper" that runs in the system tray and simultaneously checks all of my POP3 and web-based email accounts (Yahoo, GMail, etc.) for new mail. Is there a similar application on the Mac?

cwa107, I know that Google provides an application similar to that for GMail:

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/notifier/notifier_mac.html

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
cwa107, I know that Google provides an application similar to that for GMail:

http://mail.google.com/mail/help/notifier/notifier_mac.html

Thanks, I've seen that. Unfortunately, it only checks Gmail accounts. I know there is a Java-based app called MrPostman that acts as an intermediary between any POP3 mail application and web-based mail systems, but it is cumbersome and difficult to configure. Hopefully I'll find something more robust than that for OS X, otherwise there's always that option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K

You can just set up mail to get it all. Mine checks my gmail every 2 min along with the rest of my mail.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4, 17 inch intel imac
Greetings
I am thinking seriously about making the switch when I start my new job in January and getting a .mac membership
1. With Mac mail, can you import email- I would like to keep the mac mail account for my personal email and import my work email (a Netscape mail service) to Mac mail. This way I can hopefully just use iAddress and iCal for both work and home and just open one email account (please advise if this is doable)
2. If above scenario possible, will it then be possible to use a Treo (with Palm operating system) to sync with above and get both home and work emails
3. Can I do all this and still use the Mac applications- I really do not want to use Entourage as I am not a big fan of Outlook- however I am definitely open to suggestions
RT

I don't see why 2. wouldn't be possible. (or do you mean push email) I think that the tree allows multiple accounts and you should be able to check with the treo either buy sync, wireless or OTA.

bone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro, 4GB Ram, 250 GB HD
Greetings

RT

I don't know about syncing with .mac as I don't have an account. But you can use the built in bluetooth technology on your new mac to sync with your treo wirelessly. I have a Treo 700w and this program works great to back-up and sync all my data.

http://www.markspace.com/missingsync_windowsmobile.php

That is the program I used to make this possible. it works great.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.