120 gig hdd is really 93 gigs help please

C

ckaven

i have a quick question. i just bought my first mac(macbook) so i ordered it with 2 gigs of memory and a 120 gig hdd.i get it and look up system info and its says that 93 gigs are free. is this supposed to be like that? how come nothing close to 120? anyhelp thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Drive formatting and the OS installation will leave you with a lower amount.
Basically, actual drive space and formatted drive space are not equal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
like already stated it all boils down to how the HD manufacturer reports the physical size of the disk as compared to the actual usable amount of space.

its like buying a bottle of ketchup...you buy 12 ounces, but you can only get 11 out of the bottle it is a fact of life with hard drive purchases.

I would also like to note that this is not an apple issue...it is something that can be noticed from all computer manufacturers.
-chris

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
like already stated it all boils down to how the HD manufacturer reports the physical size of the disk as compared to the actual usable amount of space.

but that wouldn't acount for over 20% of the space? 27Gb of a 120Gb drive?
of course the numbers will be a little off, but not by that much.

i think the other idea perpetuated here, that it's os and app overhead is the answer...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
it comes down to binary math and base 10 math.. as stated in my above post with the link.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
it comes down to binary math and base 10 math.. as stated in my above post with the link.

so that accounts for 27Gb of a 120Gb drive?

it's a combination of math and os/apps. i think that's pretty clear from all of our previous posts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
so that accounts for 27Gb of a 120Gb drive?

it's a combination of math and os/apps. i think that's pretty clear from all of our previous posts.

I agree it comes own to math and os/apps.

My internal 120 hdd has 111.67 capacity.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
well yes i kinda forgot about the OS install and basically was just talking about the actual representation of HD space.

if you want to free up some space you can remove a lot of the spare languages on your computer using monolingual: http://monolingual.sourceforge.net/

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I own quite a few 120GB drives. None has more than 110-112MB capacity. OSX takes maybe 3-5 and the iLife suite takes a lot. You can take off iLife but I feel it's what makes OSX special but each to his own.

No neg Rep please. I can provide screen shots of each system with a 120GB drive and show just how much total capacity each has before the OS and apps get installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.