Macbook Major Problems

Reaction score
My gf's macbook sometimes wont start, freezes and shuts off, and the hard disk makes weird nosies. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure we will have to take it back to apple to be fixed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
you aren't supposed to feed it fluids. :) And yes, it sounds like you should take it back and see what's up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
Dude, how will he do updates if it: "wont start, freezes and shuts off, and the hard disk makes weird nosies"\

I think it's either the sudden motion sensor acting up, or the harddrive is failing. Oooorrr, it could be a bad fan, and it's over heating.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
My gf's macbook sometimes wont start, freezes and shuts off, and the hard disk makes weird nosies. Any ideas? I'm pretty sure we will have to take it back to apple to be fixed.

i just took "sometimes" to mean "not all the time". i could be wrong though...

also, is there a motion sensor on a macbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
yeah i think they put it in the macbook now too

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i just took "sometimes" to mean "not all the time". i could be wrong though...

also, is there a motion sensor on a macbook?

I know i purposly left off the somtimes :p

I just don’t think it will perform reliably enough to do the updates.
It can’t hurt to try updates… or can it? I figure if it is a failing HD, or Fan it will only further damage the system. And that is undesirable. :yinyang:

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
i'd probably try the reset first.

the firmware updates may get botched if the machine can't stay powered on.
if you do try the firmware updates, put the macbook on a stable table (cool rhyme!) and do not even think about breathing on the mag-safe cord.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.