IMac fan speed

Reaction score
well, i recently had to replace the video card of my 20" intel mac cause it had a problem... i got it back now, but the fan is doing a lot of noise... i called the store and they told me that it was the OS that determined the speed of the fan, so it needed some kind of update...is this really what i have to do?? the only update i found was a fan control update for mac G5...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 2.66GHz Quad, 1GB RAM
yea in most cases the fan speed is controled by your os. when I upgraded to 10.4.8 my fans got a tiny bit louder.

Open software update and it will take care of any updates.

I dont know if imacs have the EFI updater app. if they do run that also.

OP
B
Reaction score
i updated everything, and it didn't help... there's an app that lets you change the fan speed... what is the default speed and medium temperature of an imac?? knowing this i can compare with my settings...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1
wats the name of the app that lets you change the fan speed ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
iCyclone
Fan Control

To name the two apps I've heard of.

OP
B
Reaction score
i used fan control and when i started up the computer i decreased the speed to 1000 RPM, the minimun speed... but the fan is still doing noise... i don't know what's wrong here...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.