Is it possible to replace the RAM and Graphics Chip in a 20" Intel iMac?

Reaction score
Hi,

Is it possible to replace the RAM in a 20" iMac (ie, 2 x 512mb to 2 x 1gb) and the Graphics Chip (ie, 128mb to 256mb)? I heard its quite hard to get inside the intel iMacs. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2Ghz i7 Late 2011 MBP: 16GB Ram 500GB Seagate XT HD
I don't have an imac but appl has step by step instructions online.

Remember google is your friend.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303084

Graphics chip is another story. Getting into the imac isn't too dificult. I've seen step by step instructions on how to replace the imac hard drive. But the graphics chip is pretty much built into the logic board. Remember they are bascially laptops with detachable mice and keyboards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I don't have an imac but i think i saw online that there is a slot on the bottom of the imac that the ram slip into. Graphics chip is another story. Getting into the imac isn't too dificult. I've seen step by step instructions on how to replace the imac hard drive. But the graphics chip is pretty much built into the logic board. Remember they are bascially laptops with detachable mice and keyboards.

Nope, they are desktop computers in a small case.

Anyway wytwolf was correct, there is a slot under the display is easy go get to and from there you can up your RAM. The graphics card is removable in the 24" iMac... I'm not sure about the 20. But when you buy your iMac online you have the option to up your video card so just do it there and you're good to go.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Reaction score
The RAM is the only thing you can service without voiding your waranty. And it's the only thing made easy enough that it shouldn't really go wrong, provided you get the proper modules.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Remember they are bascially laptops with detachable mice and keyboards.

Nope, they are desktop computers in a small case.

No, they are closer to laptops precisely because the components are not detachable or replaceable. The iMac and Power Macs are very different - the latter has a motherboard with PCI and PCI-Express slots.

iMacs and Mac Minis are custom made in order to squeeze into a small case, regardless of the shape. Much closer to laptops in design.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
No, they are closer to laptops precisely because the components are not detachable or replaceable. The iMac and Power Macs are very different - the latter has a motherboard with PCI and PCI-Express slots.

iMacs and Mac Minis are custom made in order to squeeze into a small case, regardless of the shape. Much closer to laptops in design.

It doesn't matter how small the case is or how accessible it is, the iMac still uses desktop components.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.