VMWare vs. Parallels

Reaction score
I have used Parallels for quite some time and now that it supports the Boot Camp I like it even more since I can also use Boot Camp when necessary (such as when I play a computer game).
I am hearing a lot about VMWare now though. Does anyone use VMWare on here and how does it compare to Parallels?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Well, for one, VMWare Vitualization for the Mac (codename Fusion) isn't in general release yet-- it's still in Beta.

I rely pretty heavily on my Windows partition, so I haven't taken the plunge on VMWare yet because I'd hate to run into a bug at a critical moment.

I am a regular Parallels user and I'm very pleased with it.

Reaction score
VMWare is an emulator, which means the graphics quality is nothing compared to the quality in Mac OSX or Windows via Bootcamp. But unfortunately i have never used parallels and i really don't know if the graphics are emulated in that too. I play games(like Half-Life 2) on my 15" Macbook Pro via Bootcamp and the graphics are insane. Everything including details and models are recommended on High settings. I'll research more on Parallels and get back to you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Graphics are emulated in Parallels, and as a result anything that uses 3d graphics won't work at this point.

Both Parallels and VMWare have stated that they're working on the issue now.

Reaction score
thanks carbiner23, I wasn't sure about the graphics emulation in Parallels. I would rather go with Bootcamp since nothing is emulated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.