Graphics card upgrade

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro: 2.66ghz Dual-Core Intel Xeon, 4gb Ram, ATi X1900 XT 512MB, 1TB HDD, 19" LCD
Im going to order a mac pro with the 7300GT graphics card. Now as the 7300 is a pretty **** poor caard im going to put two Nvidia 8800GTX 768MB cards in (serious power)

now this is going to be my first mac so i dont know anything about hardware and software setup etc. installing and removing the gfx cards will be pretty simple ive built hundreds of PCs but what about the drivers? I will have to get rid of the 7300GT drivers before installing the new gfx cards and their drivers, whats the best way for me to go about this? on a pc i would unistall the 7300 driver then change the cards over and install the new drivers but how is this done on a mac?

Thanks

Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
If you can find a Mac compatible video card you will be good to go. It's basically the same as a PC; take the card out, install the new one, and you're good to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You won't have to get rid of the old drivers, Macs don't work like that. If you find a Mac compatible card, and be sure it SAYS Mac compatible, you should just be able to plug it in and go. If new drivers are required, they should come with the card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz C2D macbook
Im going to order a mac pro with the 7300GT graphics card. Now as the 7300 is a pretty **** poor caard im going to put two Nvidia 8800GTX 768MB cards in (serious power)

now this is going to be my first mac so i dont know anything about hardware and software setup etc. installing and removing the gfx cards will be pretty simple ive built hundreds of PCs but what about the drivers? I will have to get rid of the 7300GT drivers before installing the new gfx cards and their drivers, whats the best way for me to go about this? on a pc i would unistall the 7300 driver then change the cards over and install the new drivers but how is this done on a mac?

Thanks

Joe

no no no!
I can see you're all pretty confused here. YOU CANNOT USE PC CARD IN MAC! - not without some substantial modifications.

first - PC cards do not have Mac compatible ROM.
second - PC cards are using BIOS, mac have EFI.

It is possible to use PC card in Mac after ROM flashing. you might even have to solder the ROM chip on to make it work. as far as I know, there have been successful trials for G5 macs but not Mac Pro yet. (G5 still uses BIOS)

so far the best card you can get for Mac Pro is X1900XT.

V

v3nom

U can use one 8800GTX in the second slot and boot with bootcamp (windows), but MacOSX isn´t able to use this card, because of the missing EFI Bios of the 8800GTX.

Edit:
Read about a guy, who got two Ati Cards with Crossfire runnig under Windows, maybe ur two 8800GTX connected with SLI will run with windows, but for MacOSX u need to flash their Bios (works with some 7600 cards).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 12" 1.5GHz
SLI will not work on the Intel 5000 series chipsets as far as I've heard...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.