Looking for a new host

Reaction score
my current host has recently crapped out on me. Apparently, he kept backups only on servers that were not the main one, and nowhere else. not a bad idea, when things run smoothly. However, apparently all 7 of his servers got hacked (Or so he says).

Somehow, I don't entirely believe him, nor do I trust my site much with him anymore, especially since I plan to start releasing some stuff shortly.

So, with all this in hand, I am looking for a new host. My current plan offers me the following:
-1GB Storage
-5GB Bandwidth/Month
-Unlimited Emails & Subdomains
-4 MySQL databases (I only really need 1 anyways)

This is all costing me $5 USD/Month.

I have used other companies, but have changed each time because of a better deal. Now, I am looking for a new host.

Does anyone here have any recommendations as to a company to use that offers similar options (Not too worried about subdomains, emails, or MySQL databases) for close to the same price? Preferably a well-established one that knows what they're doing, because keeping no off-site backups is just pure BS

EDIT: Forgot to mention, for distribution of some things, somebody who hopefully does not mind a BitTorrent tracker being run off of their server. It would, hopefully, put a lot less strain on my BW usage.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
Reaction score
site5.com...I've been very pleased with them after several less than good experiences.

Reaction score
Take a look at 1and1.com
The hosting is very good and cheap
All of the Macheist things are done through them

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac G5, iBook, 60gb iPod Photo, iPod mini and two shuffles
Ive bought a site thorugh 1and1 and had no problems but generally now I use godaddy.
Im not really using anything complicated though in terms of site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
I forgot to mention I do utilize MySQL, and PHP, in my site. And I host a BillBoard(Forum) And i haven't had a problem with mine.

And that MacAddict Deal entails: Offer is only good till December 31st

Special offer for Mac Addict readers - (of course you don't have to buy a copy of MacAddict to do this. It's just advertised in there)

$10 for one full year of Netfirms Advantage Hosting!
2 FREE domain names
20GB of disk space
750GB data transfer per month
Host up to 3 websites with a single account!
Support for PHP, Perl, and MySQL
24-hour technical support

100 e-mail addresses that match your domain
Spam and virus filtering
Web-based e-mail (WebMail) and POP3 e-mail (Outlook)

Your website hosted on an enterprise class clustered platform
Multiple data centers ensure that your website is always available
Same trusted infrastructure that keeps millions of websites up and running

There is allot more on the site about what the offer.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, looking at them all, and (Not counting discounts) DreamHost looks like the best deal. But, one question: Do they allow bittorrent trackers to be run off of their servers? If they don't, does NetFirms? I doubt any of you would know, but it's worth a try.

Reaction score
Check out http://www.2stickshosting.com. We use GoDaddy technology. You can save over 15% when you purchase hosting plans for longer periods of time and we also offer tons of free features when you purchase a domain name.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, as soon as I can get my hands on a credit card (I don't have one of my own yet) I'm going to get myself a 1-year subscription with GoDaddy.

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

oh, and if anyone is interested, i did come across some discounts for them. One place that had a lot of promo codes was http://www.dealtaker.com/GoDaddy-coupon-code-a528-c40.html
or, for an easy one to remember, just enter "Chill2" for $5 off.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, a couple of hours ago, I borrowed a credit card, and bought myself a 1-year thing from GoDaddy. The only thing I have yet to figure out to make the transition impossible to tell, is that I don't know what to enter in as the home URL for Mambo...

but, that will be solved when I can see the installation script, and see what it says.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Core Duo Macbook Pro
I wouldn't say 1and1 are cheap at all, quote the opposite in fact. But they are very reliable. I'm a very satisifed customer of www.4uhosting.co.uk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.