• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Suggestions...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 17" 2.6GHz 4GB RAM
I was given a certificate (due to a recent business trip) to buy $200 from Microsoft's Employee Store, at their employee prices, which are about 10% of the retail price. Any suggestions on what I should get?

I'm thinking of Office 2004 for Mac among other things- is that worth getting, since it's PPC based?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.6 GHz, 4 GB, 200 GB, 256MB Vid
is there an expiration on the certificate? if not, i'd wait and get the updated office edition when they go universal.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
Maybe windows so you can install it in bootcamp or parallels... it may be useful one day.

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Expires at the end of March.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Are you going to the online Microsoft Store or to the actual Employee Store in Redmond?

You need a special access code to get to the online Microsoft Store. (I have access through my employer.)

The online Microsoft store carries much less inventory than the actual shop on the Microsoft campus in Redmond. I haven't been to the campus in several years, but I imagine they have Xbox items there. I know they had almost every MS product for sale at tremendous discounts when I was last there.

On the online store, aside from the expected software (and only a few products at that) they have a few games and accessories, and that's about it.

I would second the recommendation for a copy of XP for Parallels or Boot Camp.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
[slow motion]nnnnnooooooooo!!!!![/slow motion]

Don't get Office 04, when Office 07 is due in summer. Although I don't know if it will be universal yet.
NVM expires in march,

get something fun. New the new MS keyboard and mouse for Apple. I don't know there has to be something more fun than Office.

Can you get multiple things, within the 200?

OP
K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The certificate is for the online store. Thanks for the suggestions. We're on a very tight budget, but were thinking of going for Office 2004 (since the cert expires before 2007 will be out for Mac). Does anyone have comments on using this on Mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Office 2004 is a good choice. It runs fine on my iBook G4 (1 GB of memory), so you should be in good shape.

I imagine you'll have money left over, so poke around and see what else you could get! :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.