IMac G3 Questions....

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Now i am new to these forums as well as the mac world and hope i am not posting this in the wrong section but today i purchased an Apple IMac G3 on ebay, i realize it is nothing too special but i am just looking for another computer to use the internet on in here, anyway i was not aware but noticed that all the tower stuff are in the monitor on this IMac such as the hardrive, drive ect.... the hardrive is 10GB and i was hoping to get a bigger one but i'm not sure if ANY hardrive will do or does it have to be a certain kind ? Also i am looking to replace the CD-ROM drive with a DVD burner i have on my windows pc and was wondering if this were possible seeing as the drives are a bit different ?

If needed here are the specs of the computer:
Apple iMac G3 INDIGO computer (Model: M5521)
Processor: 400 Mhz G3 PowerPc
320 MB memory
10 GB hard drive
CD-ROM drive
Network: 10/100 Ethernet
Modem: 56.6k
Wireless: Airport Ready
Ports: 2 USB + 2 Firewire
Display: 15" color - Very crisp and clear display (13.8" viewable, .28 dp, 95 Hz-800 x 600).
Onboard sound with headphone jack
Operating System: Mac O/S 10.3.4 AND Mac O/S 9.2.2 installed

Any help would DEEPLY be appreciated :)

Reaction score
Nice machine, my favorite color, I used to have one of those when it was brand new. Had to sell it shortly after I got it. Still miss the thing. Anyways, that's plenty of ram, should run great. The hard drive, yes, you can use any standard old IDE drive up to 120gigs. I have a 60gig in my current iMac. As for the CD drive, you need to find a slot load laptop style drive. I'd recommend just getting an external enclosure to put your PC drive in. Just make sure you get one with Firewire as the iMac only has USB 1.1, so it'll be really slow if you use USB.
Also, you list the resolution as 800x600.. It'll do 1024x768 very very well. Makes the web far more usable. :)

OP
Y
Reaction score
wow thanks alot for the reply that was way more helpful then i though, well hopefully it arrives here well on Tuesday or Wednesday, Once again thanks for the help and i hope to learn a bit more with this and help others here later as well :)

Reaction score
Cool yeah i got a g3 as well mines goin to be for another pc for net and what not but i find MAC OS X is abit of a hog on the processor and ram whever i got to watch movies on it it drops frames like crazy do you find the same thing

OP
Y
Reaction score
Cool yeah i got a g3 as well mines goin to be for another pc for net and what not but i find MAC OS X is abit of a hog on the processor and ram whever i got to watch movies on it it drops frames like crazy do you find the same thing

I just received my iMac a few days ago but decided to move a movie i ripped into an avi onto it and try it out and it's the same for me, The movie shows double on the same screen and it's very slow/choppy i was hoping to watch a few tv shows or movies on it anyone know what the problem might be or if the mac shows better on different formats ? :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.