MAC to PC - data transfer

R

rip1

I need to move data from my old mac (7.5.3 OS) to my Windows XP system.
My Mac does not have a CD burner, ubs, ect...

What are my options or what can I buy to get this completed?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
over a network is all I can think of. Why such an old machine, and why from mac to windows xp. most people here are going the other way. Generally that is what is implied in a switcher forum, in a mac site.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Perhaps your old Mac has Firewire? If so, you can use an external hard drive, or if you are going to a new Mac (hint hint) then you might be able to use Mac to Mac transfer over Firewire, although I am not sure if this is supported pre OS X.

If you don't have firewire, and no external drives of any sort, you are stuck with either (a) internal network, or (b) use of one of those Web based storage mechanisms like .Mac or box.net, where you can stash your stuff up on the web and then pull it down to the new machine. Typically however, this will be painfully slow, since most DSL high speed internet links are much slower on the uplink than the downlink.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
ethernet (a 2 comp network) might be your best bet

OP
R

rip1

No firewire, it has a ethernet port...

What is the best way? How do I connect them up?

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook - White: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 80GB Hard Drive, Double-layer SuperDrive
You have to set up sharing on the Mac machine and then you will be able to retrieve the files on the XP machine. If that version of the Mac OS doesn't support Windows file sharing then I recommend running perhaps an FTP server or Web Server and retrieve the files that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
www.apple.com/support/

You might try searching around Apple Support, I've been looking and there is a thing or two. But I have to go, when you search remember your key words are 'windows', 'network', and '7.5.3', ad 'mac' for the google search

Try google too

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
are you keeping the old mac as a running machine?

either way, this might be the easiest thing...

buy a cheap usb hard drve enclosure, pop the hd out of the mac, mount it in the enclosure and hook it up to the pc.

you may need macdisk to read the files.

you could still pop it back into the mac at this point, or keep it as an external drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.