Seagate 7200.10 incompatible? Detailed benchmarks!

O

otheronenorehto

I posted this on the apple support discussions but have found no solace! Below it the thread from apple discussions, please I would like to know if anyone has any ideas or is experiencing similar problems. Please know that I have spent hours on google trying to research this so don't just post a link to the bare feats article or to xceler8yourmac:) Anything else is much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
What software are you running on the machine? Why do you use BootCamp?
What programs are you using in Windows? Are these benchmarks from Windows?

I can not see any reason why the it takes so long, if this is all within OSX. I can transfer 40Gb files in about 2 hours on my MBP. And I have no RAID. And I'm not running BootCamp. But I can do that even with IDE. I've done it before. I can not begin to imagine that this is the hardwares issue. I think it's a software thing.

You could just bypass the integrated and use a RAID controller card like this one. http://www.usb-ware.com/rocketraid-2320-pci-express-g5-pc.htm

OP
O

otheronenorehto

What software are you running on the machine? Why do you use BootCamp?
What programs are you using in Windows? Are these benchmarks from Windows?

I can not see any reason why the it takes so long, if this is all within OSX. I can transfer 40Gb files in about 2 hours on my MBP. And I have no RAID. And I'm not running BootCamp. But I can do that even with IDE. I've done it before. I can not begin to imagine that this is the hardwares issue. I think it's a software thing.

You could just bypass the integrated and use a RAID controller card like this one. http://www.usb-ware.com/rocketraid-2320-pci-express-g5-pc.htm

Thanks for your response. I only have bootcamp installed to play games and because the firmware update could only be run from dos. Eventually I discovered that even though I got my Mac to boot up to DOS the firmware update still wouldn't work. Eventually I used an ancient dell. Anyway I still use windows for games and a program called ultrafractal.

However bootcamp is installed on a separate UATA drive that resides in the second optical bay. I have disabled spotlight indexing on that drive too and as far as I can tell it does not spin up when I am in OS X running the tests.

All the tests are in OS X, and when I run the tests the only other program running is disk utility. I really would only use the raid card as a last resort since I would either have to buy an external enclosure or disassemble the mac pro SATA interface to make room for power and data cables...

It is really wierd and frustrating. I feel like I have tried everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
in this application I personally would never rely on integrated, or software for a RAID. I've seen good external solutions on ebay. But if you were going to do that you could use either FireWire, or eSATA. I personally prefer not to have my data in my machine anyway. I like external solutions, except for immediate projects.

Do you live near an Apple store, that you could take it to, and have the genius take a look at it. Could something be overheating? that is my quandary.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro - Two 2.66GHz Dual-Core Intel Xeon "Woodcrest" processors - OS X Leopard
I posted this on the apple support discussions but have found no solace! Below it the thread from apple discussions, please I would like to know if anyone has any ideas or is experiencing similar problems. Please know that I have spent hours on google trying to research this so don't just post a link to the bare feats article or to xceler8yourmac:) Anything else is much appreciated!
Hi There!

I was able to find some information out about the Seagate drives in general - 7200.10 RPM flavor. Please see this website:

http://www.amug.org/amug-web/html/amug/reviews/articles/intel/macpro/

They claim that there is some write bug in the Seagate hard drives SATA-II. Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
NOTE: Removed lengthy posts. If this information was already posted on another site, please include a link.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.